We’re Back!

September 17th, 2008

We’re back on-line after a few days sans electricity. Mr Chiots and I had a great time. When you live your life working in front of a computer all day, it’s a welcome reprieve to have to take a few days off. Since we had a generator to keep our fridge & freezer cool we didn’t have much to worry about. We felt like we were on vacation! So what happened around here over the last couple days? Here goes Sunday.

We lost our power on Sunday evening. What were we doing at the time? Canning of course. We were canning pears we got from my mom’s (more photos of that later). So we had to finish canning by candlelight, not as easy as it sounds (not that it sounds easy).

Mr Chiots came out and helped me since he could no longer work in the office. It’s a bit harder to peel pears but we managed to get the batch finished. It was a romantic evening of canning by candlelight together, not necessarily romantic, but we had fun.

Seven quarts of delicious pears were labeled: Lights Out Pears 9.14.08. Every time we open a jar we’ll have a good laugh about the event.

Sometimes you can find beauty in anything.

More adventures to come tomorrow.

8 Comments to “We’re Back!”
  1. blackbird on September 17, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Gosh that looks so DARN pretty…romantic too!

Reply to blackbird's comment

2. Pine Pod Farm on September 17, 2008 at 7:57 pm

How romantic! We were without power since late Sunday afternoon aand just got ours back on too this morning at 8AM! We had our generator running too but we have it hooked up to our full bathroom for the lights, living room lights, an outlet and water and for our fridges and freezers.

Reply to Pine Pod Farm's comment

3. Jennifer on September 17, 2008 at 7:59 pm

How old-timey!

Reply to Jennifer's comment

4. Susy on September 17, 2008 at 8:24 pm

Pine Pod Farm: Glad to hear you got power back, we’re looking into buying a generator for ourselves so we don’t have this problem again, we have too much to lose in the freezers.

Jennifer: I can’t believe you wrote “old-timey” we have a running joke with some friends from a vacation about that. Thanks for the laugh!

5. Nate on September 19, 2008 at 10:43 pm

Man, those pictures are awesome. What kind of camera do you guys have? Low light pictures (and these are *really* low light pictures at that) are so damn hard with most digital cameras.

I’m actually in the market for a DSLR right now, so I’m asking everyone I know for an opinion :)

Reply to Nate's comment

6. Susy on September 19, 2008 at 11:28 pm

Nate: Actually it’s just a cheap $200 Sony Cybershot, Mr Chiots set it to full manual and set the ISO really high (and held it really steady). I know, not what you were expecting.

7. Carolyn on September 24, 2008 at 11:49 am

I love that picture of the pears in the candle light.

Reply to Carolyn's comment

8. One Year Ago | Chiot's Run on September 14, 2009 at 7:05 am

[...] minutes or perhaps an hour at most. Little did we know, it would take days! If you didn’t catch the story and romantic canning by candlelight photos, make sure you check them [...]

Reply to One Year Ago | Chiot’s Run's comment