For the Love of Popeye

October 7th, 2008

My spinach seeds germinated wonderfully. I’m guessing I had about a 90% germination rate, which is great. When the plants grow a little bigger, I’ll use the thinnings as baby spinach – yum yum.

Hopefully these will mean delicious spinach salads late into fall and if I mulch it well, we’ll be able to eat spinach very early next spring. I’ll keep you posted.

Anyone else growing winter greens?

8 Comments to “For the Love of Popeye”
  1. Pine Pod Farm on October 7, 2008 at 7:31 am

Yummy!

Reply to Pine Pod Farm's comment

2. Jennifer on October 7, 2008 at 9:32 am

Our spinach never gets any taller than this. One plant got a leggy set of true leaves, then it died, that was our best one :(

Reply to Jennifer's comment

3. Emily@remodelingthislife on October 7, 2008 at 1:27 pm

What a great photo! I can’t wait to eat my spinach.

Reply to Emily@remodelingthislife's comment

4. AgrarianLife on October 7, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Do you have a picture of your winter beds? Are they hot beds or cold frames, or another design? I would love to see your set up for your fall crops, including carrots, right?

Reply to AgrarianLife's comment

5. Carolyn on October 7, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Pretty!!

Reply to Carolyn's comment

6. Susy on October 7, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Right now the beds are just regular old raised beds. We’re going to be building some cold frames to put on top of them for winter. Those will go over the carrots & spinach. Then in the summer we can just take them off and put them in the garage till next fall. I’ll try to take a few photos of all the beds.

7. Michael Olson on September 26, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Here in Southern Maryland I plant spinach, kale and collards in mid-September in a long patch about 8 feet wide. The soil is fertilized and limed. I broadcast the seed. We can usually begin picking spinach leaves for salads in early November. All these crops will stand freezing, but when the temperature drops into the 20s, I cover the bed with plastic. No frame or support for the plastic is needed, just some old boards ordeal fence posts around the edges to prevent

Reply to Michael Olson's comment

8. Michael Olson on September 26, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Continued: to prevent the wind from blowing the plastic. We have greens all winter even if there is snow on the ground

Reply to Michael Olson's comment