Longwood Gardens

May 7th, 2009

The first place we went on vacation was Longwood Gardens. We’ve been telling our friends (that we went on vacation with) how great it is for the past 2 years, but you really can’t explain it and the photos don’t do it justice, you just have to see it in person. (here are a few photos from our last visit)
longwood-gardens-fountains
foxgloves
The spring blooms festival was in full swing while we were there, and the tulips were AMAZING!
purple-tulips
longwood-gardens-tulip-festival
dark-purple-tulips
The espaliered trees were also spectacular, they have them on various walls as well as an orchard full of them. I’m hoping to add espaliered apples or pears to my garage wall someday soon.
espalier-tree1
I was super excited to see their cold frames, something that escaped my attention on our last visit.
cold-frames-at-longwood-gardens
It’s such an amazing place, filled with all different kinds of plants, both familiar and exotic.
sea-of-hydrangea-blossoms
interesting-pink-flower
It is a truly beautiful place filled with greenhouses, fountains, woodlands, prairies and so many other wonderful things. Their vegetable garden is sure to impress in the summer, I’m hoping to go back this summer to see it in it’s full glory. If you’re in need of a vacation somewhere lovely and inspirational, I would highly recommended heading to Kennett Square, PA to see Longwood Gardens! You won’t be disappointed! The photos of this trip and my previous trip don’t even do it justice.

What’s your favorite inspiration garden to visit?

7 Comments to “Longwood Gardens”
  1. Dan on May 7, 2009 at 8:19 am

Those cold frames are amazing!

Dan’s last blog post.. Garden Update

Reply to Dan's comment

2. Silke on May 7, 2009 at 8:29 am

Just GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing those photos! :) Silke

Silke’s last blog post.. Knitting…

Reply to Silke's comment

3. Dave on May 7, 2009 at 9:25 am

Beautiful pictures! One day I’ll make it there, thanks for sharing the pictures!

Reply to Dave's comment

4. warren on May 7, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Beautiful! I am a PA boy and never heard of Longwood gardens! Thanks for the education!

warren’s last blog post.. Dandelion Wine

Reply to warren's comment

5. Frugal Trenches on May 7, 2009 at 3:31 pm

so so beautiful! It looks like England!

Frugal Trenches’s last blog post.. World Aids Orphan Day!

Reply to Frugal Trenches's comment

6. Kelly Butler on May 8, 2009 at 10:26 am

Susy, these pictures are AMAZING!!!!

Kelly Butler’s last blog post.. Alligator Alley

Reply to Kelly Butler's comment

7. Matt on May 13, 2009 at 11:34 am

These are beautiful photos.

I grew up near Longwood Gardens and worked there in high school and college (not as a gardener). Even 20 years later, I can say it is one of the best jobs I’ve had – I found the people who work there to be as pleasant and professional as the gardens themselves.

Matt’s last blog post.. Romanced by the Obsessive Vegetable Gardener