Hummingbird Moths

August 29th, 2009

I always find the variety of insects that come through the garden very fascinating. It seems like every time you stop while working in the garden you notice the hum and buzz of all the small things that live in the garden. They range of teeny tiny that you can barely see and then there are big ones like the hummingbird moth.
hummingbird_moth
This is a Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth, there are a few different kinds. They’re fascinating to see moths that mimic bird. They flit from flower to flower gathering nectar just like a hummingbird. I’m sure many people are confused and think they’re just baby hummingbirds.
Hummingbird_moth_1

Any fascinating bugs in your gardens?

8 Comments to “Hummingbird Moths”
  1. annie avery on August 29, 2009 at 7:17 am

i’ve always called them sphinx moth. same thing? they are stunning to see, yes!

Reply to annie avery's comment

2. marcyincny on August 29, 2009 at 9:32 am

Lovely. I’ve never seen the clear-winged variety.
    .-= marcyincny´s last blog ..The Spa =-.

Reply to marcyincny's comment

3. deedee on August 29, 2009 at 9:50 am

never seen one of those before! so pretty!

Reply to deedee's comment

4. the inadvertent farmer on August 29, 2009 at 10:34 am

Yes, hubby’s bees…but they aren’t nearly as interesting to photograph as your beautiful moth, just lovely! Kim
    .-= the inadvertent farmer´s last blog ..Potato Pot Pushing or Harvesting Potatoes! =-.

Reply to the inadvertent farmer's comment

5. KitsapFG on August 29, 2009 at 11:39 am

I think the hummingbird moths are fascinating to watch. I love it when one shows up in the garden.

Reply to KitsapFG's comment

6. stefaneener on August 30, 2009 at 12:40 am

Nothing too interesting — just the usuals, really. What’s been fascinating this year is how few predacious insects (toward vegetables) there have been. Really minimal attacks. Go figure.

I would love to see a hummingbird moth. I wonder if I’d notice its mothiness, or just think it was a hummer?
    .-= stefaneener´s last blog ..Maybe I should stop now =-.

Reply to stefaneener's comment

7. Paul Zollinger on September 2, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Cool! I’ve never heard of the beastie…

Reply to Paul Zollinger's comment

8. Pam Maughmer on August 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm

I saw them just this year, and yes, I did think they were baby hummingbirds. I just couldn’t figure out why they had antenna. They are so tiny and move so fast I have not been able to photograph one yet.

Reply to Pam Maughmer's comment