I Spy Pumpkins

August 31st, 2009

While visiting my mom’s house this weekend I had to take a photo of these pumpkins. They are planted in our corn patch as part of a 3 sisters garden.
Pumpkins
Do you recognize these? They’re Cinderella Pumpkin ‘Rouge Vif d’Etampes’ of course, from those seeds I saved last fall.

Anyone else growing great things from saved seeds?

8 Comments to “I Spy Pumpkins”
  1. Tree on August 31, 2009 at 8:10 am

I am so jealous. I had an accidental pumpkin plant (we tossed a rotting pumpkin out the window and it planted. Its flowering (pretty good) but no pumpkins in site. And the intentional planted pumpkins that my parents planted didn’t take. They were doing well and then they suddenly died (I think the girls may have disturbed the roots when they were helping weed, but that shouldn’t have killed them).
    I plant to plant quite a few more pumpkins in my side patch next year.

Reply to Tree's comment

2. KitsapFG on August 31, 2009 at 9:03 am

That is such a pretty fairy tale quality pumpkin variety. I grow more workmanlike pie pumpkins but they still make me smile at their sheer size and bright color.

My sugar snap peas are from saved seed and my potatoes, garlic, and multiplier onions are from saved starter stock – but not much else in the garden this year. I am saving seed from the sugar snaps again (Cascadia), the bush beans (Jade), and the runner beans (Sunset). In addition, I always reserve out seed potatoes, garlic bulbs, and multiplier onions for the seed stock as well. I am not saving tomato seed because we had blight in the patch. I have extra seed in the inventory I can use that is not that old or I will purchase fresh next year. It would not suprise me though if tomato seed is outrageously expensive next year because of the pervasive blight infestation this year. I don’t have a big enough garden to do serious isolation to breed items true that easily cross pollinate – so I don’t really try to mess with it.

Reply to KitsapFG's comment

3. Maureen on August 31, 2009 at 11:12 am

Those look beautiful!

Our first planting of pumpkins died but the second was doing great until…..well, the only thing ‘I spied’ yesterday was a massive army of squash bugs finishing off the very last leaf on our ‘could’ve been jack-o-lantern’ pumpkins….sigh.

Maybe next year?

Reply to Maureen's comment

4. Daphne on August 31, 2009 at 11:57 am

Such pretty pumpkins. Sadly I have no pumpkins and only two winter squash that have set. So sad. They are not from my saved seed though. I’m growing my Sungold F2s from seed. All the rest from last year’s seed are the self sown plants that I let go every year: parsley, cilantro, dill and chamomile. This year I’m saving a lot more seed. I hope it grows well.
    .-= Daphne´s last blog ..Garden Blogger’s Death Day August 2009 =-.

Reply to Daphne's comment

5. warren on August 31, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Oh I am so jealous! I planted these this summer too and the seeds rotted in all of our rain! They look great!
    .-= warren´s last blog ..Bees gone wild =-.

Reply to warren's comment

6. MAYBELLINE on August 31, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I’m growing Cinderella pumpkins as well in Bakersfield, California (zone 9).
    .-= MAYBELLINE´s last blog ..Tomatoes =-.

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

7. Mangochild on September 1, 2009 at 5:34 am

Lovely color. Just as I was feeling a bit depressed about the tail end of summer upon us, this post reminded me that there are things to look forward to in the fall too. I love winter squash and pumpkin. And the Three Sisters garden makes me happy to think of all the veg supporting each other.
    .-= Mangochild´s last blog ..Tuesdays Independence Days: Week 14 =-.

Reply to Mangochild's comment

8. ChicagoMike on September 1, 2009 at 11:04 am

I am growing seed for these pumpkins (see from you!) and those things are like 20 inches across and gorgeous.

I need to throw up some pics of them for you.

I am also growing watermelons, zinnias (yours), thai peppers, and cayenne peppers from saved seed.

A number of my plants are from wintersown.org, so they might count as well.

Reply to ChicagoMike's comment