Volunteer Marigolds

September 24th, 2009

I have these volunteer marigolds that grew up in the same spot I had some planted last year. They’re just starting to bloom prolifically and they’re so nice. I’m not a huge fan of marigolds, but they’re so pretty this time of year, they really look nice with all the fall colors that are starting to appear.
marigold_blooms
As you can see these are growing in a raised bed that I have a makeshift fence around since I have my late beans planted in this bed. I know the deer and the groundhogs would love nothing more than tender bean plants, so I have some chicken wire panels leaned up around it to protect my bean harvest.
Endless_Summer_hydrangea_bloom
When it comes to colors of flowers, I’m much more of a pink/white/purple lover. I’m really happy that my ‘Endless Summer’ Hydrangea is blooming now, despite being mauled by deer this past winter. I was thinking I wouldn’t see any color from it at all.

What colors of flowers are your favorite?

11 Comments to “Volunteer Marigolds”
  1. Dave on September 24, 2009 at 8:39 am

I’m a fan of the blue and purple shades. Sometimes the golden-oranges like with butterfly weed or gaillardias. Russian sage and salvias though have some of the best colors.
    .-= Dave´s last blog ..Nighttime at the Arbor =-.

Reply to Dave's comment

2. warren on September 24, 2009 at 8:40 am

That’s easy! I love yellow daffodils more than any other flower!!
    .-= warren´s last blog ..There is a resemblance… =-.

Reply to warren's comment

3. Frugal Trenches on September 24, 2009 at 10:20 am

from my sick bed, these photos are making me swoon. It has been too long since i have seen a marigold.

Reply to Frugal Trenches's comment

4. Maureen on September 24, 2009 at 11:12 am

Personally, I LOVE marigolds but we can’t seem to grow them anymore. When I first started gardening we grew them as big as bushes, but lately they just seem stunted and sickly….sigh.

I’m envious of yours…plus, my favorite color is orange!
    .-= Maureen´s last blog ..We’re Home….Sam’s not. =-.

Reply to Maureen's comment

5. miss m on September 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I tend to be a pink/white/purple gal too, but sometimes plants will dictate a space. For example, I have a very happy (orangey) honeysuckle at the front of the house that has made me rethink the front garden color scheme completely (it even got me ditching a rose !) – the scheme is now red/orange/yellow – a palette I would not have considered. In a good way, it got me thinking outside the ‘pink & purple’ box and turned out lovely.

Reply to miss m's comment

6. ChicagoMike on September 24, 2009 at 2:25 pm

You must have pretty acidic soil for that “Endless Summer” to be that bright!
    .-= ChicagoMike´s last blog ..The Coolest Kid In The Neighborhood =-.

Reply to ChicagoMike's comment

• Susy on September 24, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Our soil is very acidic, these blooms actually start out pink and then turn purple after a while.

7. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tom. Tom said: Volunteer Marigolds | Chiot's Run: A new raised bed (for an additional 40 sq ft of garden space); A Warre H.. http://bit.ly/1iNzwq [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention Volunteer Marigolds | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

8. MAYBELLINE on September 24, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Pink. Soft pink.
    .-= MAYBELLINE´s last blog ..Fall Planting Part II =-.

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

9. Jackie on September 25, 2009 at 12:47 am

Nice volunteers. That’s always fun.
    I love purple and white flowers!
    .-= Jackie´s last blog ..Lady Who Will Grow Anything Except Grass =-.

Reply to Jackie's comment

10. the inadvertent farmer on September 25, 2009 at 10:54 am

Blue…LOVE blue flowers!

Your photos are simply enchanting, kim
    .-= the inadvertent farmer´s last blog ..Friday Funnies…Spanish Version! =-.

Reply to the inadvertent farmer's comment