Quote of the Day: Henry David Thoreau

February 28th, 2010

Nature will bear the closest inspection.
She invites us to lay our eye level with her smallest leaf,
and take an insect view of its plain.

-Henry David Thoreau

I love this quote and thought about it when I was taking a few photos the other day. I had to add this quote to one of the photos, it was a little to small to show up well here and be easy to read so I put it on Flick – check it out.

I have a small fig tree that I’m overwintering in the basement. It was dormant for a few months, but it’s starting to wake up for the season. It has beautiful little leaves that have emerged from the buds, they’re so beautiful! They’re tiny at the moment, only about an inch tall, but so intricate in detail. Plant are truly amazing things! I’m always amazed at the tiny new leaves that appear when plants are coming out of dormancy.

What’s most amazing to you about plants?

12 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Henry David Thoreau”
  1. tigress on February 28, 2010 at 7:40 am

i am very intrigued by your growing of a fig tree in you climate! i want to grow figs so bad but i am not sure how in new england. do you have a reference that you recommend?

it’s beautiful!
    .-= tigress´s last blog ..alliums =-.

Reply to tigress's comment

2. Mavis on February 28, 2010 at 10:10 am

I love how they come back year after year…especially the raspberry canes :) Yumm a licious!

Reply to Mavis's comment

3. Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings on February 28, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Those photos are so beautiful. They make me want to reach out and touch those little leaves and feel their fuzziness. Kudos.~~Dee

Reply to Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings's comment

4. MAYBELLINE on February 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Most everything about plants amazes me.

Do you plan to espalier your fig?
    .-= MAYBELLINE´s last blog ..Lilacs! =-.

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

5. Kylee from Our Little Acre on February 28, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Look how pretty and green and fuzzy those leaves are! So pure….. Don’t you wonder how they know it’s time to wake up when they’re in a basement like that? I have some plants that do the same thing and I’m always amazed by it!
    .-= Kylee from Our Little Acre´s last blog ..The Power of Twitter =-.

Reply to Kylee from Our Little Acre's comment

6. Amy on February 28, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Exquisite flawless greens….perfection…..what amazes me most……that I can be such a buffoon in starting my seeds too early or planting too deep or not watering enough…..and unfailingly they flourish. They know their duty even when I don’t do right by them….that is what I find amazing. It never fails to provide me with hope and joy.

Reply to Amy's comment

7. Sustainable Eats on March 1, 2010 at 1:44 am

I have a fig tree I overwinter in the garage as well. What kind of fig is that? I just love the sweet little potted ones.
    .-= Sustainable Eats´s last blog ..Organic Vermont Maple Syrup Buy =-.

Reply to Sustainable Eats's comment

8. melissa on March 1, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Plants amaze me in the way that they struggle to survive on an evolutionary scale. My recent glut of cilantro is a good example – I let one go to flower and that one plant has caused my garden to overflow with cilantro the next season. That one plant did its duty to make sure that it lived on long after it was gone, and did it do a wonderful job or what!
    .-= melissa´s last blog ..Week of Eating In Challenge, Day 7: A Tragic Day =-.

Reply to melissa's comment

9. Morgan G on March 1, 2010 at 6:37 pm

The thing that amazes me about plants is their ability to multitask with grace. They provide food, habitat, shade, cleansing of our atmosphere, sanctuary for meditation and, of course, beauty.
    .-= Morgan G´s last blog ..Oscilloscope Laboratories =-.

Reply to Morgan G's comment

• Susy on March 1, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Definitely all-in-one kinds of things aren’t they, and they do it all so well. There’s nothing more beautiful than a mature cabbage plant in the front flowerbed surrounded by catmint and other flowering plants.