She loved the air after a hard rain…

June 29th, 2010

For some reason I really enjoy the rain. I suppose it might be from my childhood. I grew up in a tropical city in Colombia. It was generally very hot, but the rain would bring coolness which was always nice.

I was reading yesterday right before the rain came and had to blog this quote I came across right before the rain hit.

She loved the air after a hard rain, and the way a forest of dripping leaves fills itself with a sibilant percussion that empties your head of words.

-Barbara Kingsolver (Prodigal Summer)

I especially love it when the rain comes during the day and I can grab my camera to get a few photos. I know many of you are having too much rain in your gardens, but we’re not having enough. The rain was a wonderful gift yesterday afternoon, it will bring with it some cool weather which will be perfect for gardening. Here’s a little glimpse of our rainy afternoon.

The garden is so lovely after a good rain, the colors seem more vibrant, and everything shimmers with drops of rain. When that time coincides with late evening it’s a perfect pair, everything is bathed in a golden glow.

I’d have to say this is one of my favorite times to stroll around the garden. There’s something so peaceful about being in outside after a good rainstorm, still feeling a few drops falling from the trees. I always feel that the plants seem more alive since they’ve had a good drink.

How’s your weather this year, have you had enough rain or do you need more?

23 Comments to “She loved the air after a hard rain…”
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: She loved the air after a hard #rain… http://goo.gl/fb/3Hope #weather #aftertherain [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention She loved the air after a hard rain… | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Laura on June 29, 2010 at 9:03 am

your pictures are so beautiful! i agree that the garden is a wonderful place to be after a good rain. we haven’t had nearly enough rain lately…temps in the mid to high 90′s. i had to water my hydrangea’s yesterday as they were looking very peaked.
    have a wonderful day
    blessings
    ~*~
    Laura´s last post ..Its a Mad Day-

Reply to Laura's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2010 at 9:23 am

My hydrangeas have been so sad, I’ve been watering them all month. I read somewhere that “Hydrangeas are like gardeners, they wilt in the heat, but perk up in the evening after a tall cool drink”.

• jules on June 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I find this is true with my hydrangeas too. I come home and they look so sad, but by the next morning, they are back up and all perky!

to jules's comment

3. Kelly on June 29, 2010 at 9:28 am

I need more rain. My tomatoes, especially, need it (though I wouldn’t mind the cool it’ll bring, either). The weather keeps promising rain, and raining in our area, but not on our house. It’s very frustrating.
    Kelly´s last post ..The Healthy Surprise Surprisingly

Reply to Kelly's comment

4. Amy on June 29, 2010 at 9:53 am

I live in Northern Kentucky and we have been very blessed this year with just the right amount of rain I would have to say……A couple of times I have had to water my Hydrangeas but that is all…..Your photos are lovely…….as usual……After it rains I love to walk barefoot and weed and sniff:)

Reply to Amy's comment

5. kristin @ going country on June 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

Fingers crossed, so far we’ve had just enough rain mixed with hot, sunny days for growing. Which is one reason I’ve been totally unable to keep up with the weeds.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..Lesson Learned

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

6. Turling on June 29, 2010 at 9:58 am

Living in Southern California, we always need more. Won’t see rain again until November.
    Turling´s last post ..Sunday Planting

Reply to Turling's comment

7. warren on June 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love rain too! We have had a good amount and it has mostly been well timed garden-wise!
    warren´s last post ..Tap…Tap…Is this thing on

Reply to warren's comment

8. the inadvertent farmer on June 29, 2010 at 11:09 am

You have outdone yourself this time…this is my very favorite photo series you have done yet, stunning! Kim
    the inadvertent farmer´s last post ..Summers Simple Things we Share-

Reply to the inadvertent farmer's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Thanks Kim.

9. Katherine on June 29, 2010 at 11:23 am

I love your blog– reading the posts has been inspiring me to be out in my own garden! I am also in zone 5 (southeastern MI)… transplanted a bunch of perennials yesterday, and the poor things really needed a soak from my watering can. We’ve had a pretty good balance of rain this year, but it looks like we’re entering a dry spell for the next week or so.

Reply to Katherine's comment

10. Tina Kay on June 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Thank you for your post!! Just looking at your pictures cooled me off. I could feel the dampness of the rain on my skin and face. I am one to go out in a storm and look up to the sky with my arms stretched out and mouth wide open catching the rain drops. LOL! Rain would be a welcomed relief. here.
    I just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your blog!

Tina Kay
    Tina Kay´s last post ..Weekend Greeting

Reply to Tina Kay's comment

• Susy on June 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Thanks Tina!

11. Kate on June 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Sigh…up here in the Northeast, we could definitely use more rain. We’ve had a few fast moving summer thunderstorms roll through, but the riverbed across from my house is still thirsty for more – its almost dry! After the nonstop monsoons we had last year, though, I know to be careful what I wish for!

Reply to Kate's comment

12. Melissa Gathings on June 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors…love the quote!
    Here in Brazos Valley of Texas ANY rain received in the summer is a blessing and we are so thankful. The heat is causing tomatoes and peppers to gasp but the cucumbers are still going strong. Your photos are so refreshing. Thanks.

Reply to Melissa Gathings's comment

13. Dan on June 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

It has been a really wet spring and early summer here. We have almost reached a whole summers worth of rain already. It is welcome though after having hardly any snow all winter. Another welcome sight is lots of heat in between the rain, the veggies are happy! I’m off to find that ketchup recipe you posted a while back…
    Dan´s last post ..Harvest Monday

Reply to Dan's comment

14. MAYBELLINE on June 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Oh you great big showoff.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Lemon Squash for Dinner

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

15. sarah on June 29, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Gorgeous pictures (as always!) I esp love the drop splashing on the deck! We had a very wet cold spring. Loving the heat we have now and apparently our garden is too – things are really starting to grow! Thanks for the great post.
    sarah´s last post ..Garden Pictures June 2010

Reply to sarah's comment

16. deedee on June 29, 2010 at 10:24 pm

wow susy! those are amazing photos! my fave is the rain drop! we’ve had a ton of rain here.

Reply to deedee's comment

17. victoria on June 30, 2010 at 7:50 am

dry here in maryland…and no rain in sight. Thankfully the swampy weather is taking a few days off, it was nice to enjoy a cool morning.
    I have a feeling that the rain will make a comeback while we’re on vacation – and my auto-watering soaker hoses and sprinklers are on duty :)

Such is life…

Reply to victoria's comment

18. jules on June 30, 2010 at 4:54 pm

That is my all time favorite book! I’d love for her to write a sequel to it sometime soon.

My mom (in SW MI) has had bunches of rain. Me, down here in LA (lower Alabama)? We needed rain badly. With Alex in the Gulf, we’re finally getting enough rain that my gardens don’t need me watering. I love rainy days. I just wish I was home for them, instead of working.

Reply to jules's comment

19. Jackie on July 8, 2010 at 2:19 pm

A bit jealous of your rain…it’s very unlikely that we will get anymore rain until October. (I live in coastal CA.) Great quote by Barbara Kingsolver. That was a fun read, wasn’t it? I love all of her books!
    Jackie´s last post ..Book Review- How to Pick a Peach