Beauty in the Garden

July 14th, 2010

It seems like every week something new catches my eye in the garden, a new combination of plants, or perhaps the way a few plants are working together as they mature. Often it’s the free-seeding plants that tend to plant themselves in the most wonderful places. Nature does a wonderful job of coming up with some beautiful combos. This week I’m really loving the way my liatris and nicotiana look together.

Both of these plants are volunteers, meaning they seeded themselves down in this location, I did not plant them here. Neither were planted here originally or together on purpose. You’d never know it though the way they work together. The funny thing is that the nicotiana seeded itself around my gardens and everywhere it comes up in different shades that perfectly coordinate with the plants around it.

I noticed that the pollinators are loving this combo of plants as much as I am. The bees and butterflies love the liatris and the hummingbirds really like the nicotiana. They’re always abuzz with activity.

I love volunteer plants, especially ones like this that aren’t really invasive and are easy to remove when they crop up in unwanted locations.

What are you loving in your garden at the moment?

10 Comments to “Beauty in the Garden”
  1. Wanda on July 14, 2010 at 6:54 am

They are so pretty!
    Wanda´s last post ..Corn- Beans and Avocado

Reply to Wanda's comment

2. Sense of Home on July 14, 2010 at 9:07 am

Beautiful! Right now I am enjoying watching the fennel grow. I have never grown fennel before and did not expect it to get so large. It also smells really good when I am working close to it in the garden.
    Sense of Home´s last post ..The Joy of Canning

Reply to Sense of Home's comment

3. Amy on July 14, 2010 at 10:10 am

Lovely pictures…..The combo that is doing it for me right now would be the lavender monarda, phlox and silver king….:)

Reply to Amy's comment

4. Jaspenelle on July 14, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love those little dainty ones in that first picture, so beautiful! I love purple flowers.

My Pink “Double Delight” Coneflower that my grandma send me this Spring are bloom, so very lovely. I do not normally go for pink but these are also fushia, I just love them. My yellow parade rose is bloom too, I have an extreme weakness for roses so that always makes me happy.
    Jaspenelle´s last post ..It comes in threes

Reply to Jaspenelle's comment

5. Amy on July 14, 2010 at 11:12 am

That’s a gorgeous combo you have there! I’m really loving the unnamed grape vine with its lime green leaves against the gaudy Gaillardia. Fun!
    Amy´s last post ..Mama- or Amysflock 25

Reply to Amy's comment

6. Morgan G on July 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

Pretty shots, Susy. I’m loving our hydrangea, lavender, sage and tomatillo right now. A motley mix, but a treat to walk about.

Reply to Morgan G's comment

7. Lona on July 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm

How pretty they all look. Some of my Nicotiana from which I had saved seeds from last summer which were pink and red turned out white this spring when I sowed the saved seeds. I love your color.
    Lona´s last post ..Add Some Bloomin Achillea to Your Garden

Reply to Lona's comment

• Susy on July 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Yes, I had mainly dark pink ones last year. This year they turned out in all different shades of pink, purple and a few white ones. I assume it’s from cross pollination.

8. Rose on July 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm

My osteopermums continue to delight me; the hotter it gets, the happier they seem to be! I’m going to be doing my best to take cuttings from these plants so I can bring them on into next year, they’re absolutely wonderful. And, of course, my huge rosebush, covered in red blooms for the first time since I’ve been here; I’ve been trying to bring it back from its wild, bloomless legginess and my labour is paying off!
    Rose´s last post ..No home without a cat in

Reply to Rose's comment

9. Lisa on July 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

We are having alot of visitors in the garden lately. Butterflies and hummingbirds. They are so fun to watch.
    I’m really enjoying my butterfly bush and the Shasta daisies lately.
    I planted some heliotrope a few weeks ago and it smells divine!

And, of course, I’m loving watching my corn, beans and zucchini thriving and growing.
    Lisa´s last post ..Trying to Photograph a 3 Year Old