Hand Me Downs

July 27th, 2010

If you’ve been reading this blog for quite a while, you know that Mr Chiots and I own a business. We have a small production company (2nd Mile Productions) and do wedding videos and other corporate work. Mr Chiots also does websites (with a new Chiot’s Run in the works). We have an option called a Same Day Edit in our wedding package, which entitles editing a short video of the wedding and showing it at the reception (lots of work but well worth the effort).

Our old lappy (we we lovingly call it) was starting to give us a few problems, keys not working occasionally, the screen doing weird things. Mr Chiots and I are “wear it out” type of people, so it was tough to invest in a new laptop when the old one was still working most of the time) . But since we couldn’t rely on it to be working well on wedding days, we had to break down and buy a new one. Since we’re Mac people, we bought a new MacBook Pro and the old one got handed down to me, as a blogging computer and one to use throughout the house. Now I can blog from the comfort of the living room if I want (as I’m doing right now).

Having a laptop will definitely make a few aspects of my life a little easier. Having it in the kitchen with a recipe will be much easier than running to the office to double check each ingredient when I’m making a recipe from a blog. Copying quotes from books to a blog post will be much easier, and research work will also be much better since I can now work at the dining room table instead of in my office on my too small desk. We’ll also still use this computer for rendering and other workhorse tasks for the business until it gives up the ghost completely, but until then I’m enjoying being able to work in the light filled living or dining room where I can see the gardens instead of in the office where I can’t!

Do you ever get hand-me-down items from others?

PS – if you like the desktop image on my lappy you can download a large file size of it here from Flickr for your computer – ENJOY!

11 Comments to “Hand Me Downs”
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: Hand Me Downs http://goo.gl/fb/MnkSh #miscellaneus #handmedowns #laptop [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention Hand Me Downs | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Corrie Carswell on July 27, 2010 at 6:59 am

Yes! In fact my Mac laptop was a hand-me-down from my brother. All I had to do to get it was bake him a carrot cake and some macaroons! I love hand-me-downs!

Reply to Corrie Carswell's comment

3. pam on July 27, 2010 at 7:08 am

Our family is all about hand-me-downs, from computers, to tvs, to cars!
    pam´s last post ..Quick Pickled Cucumbers

Reply to pam's comment

4. Shannon on July 27, 2010 at 8:36 am

My old laptop came from my mom. Our current one was a $150 purchase on EBAY :). They both work perfectly well, although the old one is currently being fixed by my husband. Other than that I am all about the free/cheap aspects of hand-me-downs.
    Shannon´s last post ..Adrenal Fatigue- Symptoms and Diagnosis

Reply to Shannon's comment

5. warren on July 27, 2010 at 9:41 am

I just got a new hand-me-down laptop yesterday…I love free stuff!

Great pic btw…I have set it as my back ground pic at work!
    warren´s last post ..81 pounds

Reply to warren's comment

6. Miranda on July 27, 2010 at 10:01 am

I love hand me downs – or ‘hand me overs’ as i’ve been calling them lately. I luckily have some snazzy friends who make a bit more money than i do and are about my size! I recently got a nice pile of workout clothes from one friend, and before that a large pile of ‘i’m moving, here take this so i don’t have to pack it’ stuff from another friend. i love my friends! (and my new stuff).
    I also have a macbook pro laptop. i love it, mostly. but it was actually given to me free from apple after my previously purchased laptop refused to work out its kinks after 2 years and 6 or so trips to the shop. frustration! now this ‘new’ one is starting to act up. i hate hate HATE that my business (and blogging) rely on this machine. when it’s out of commission, i am too. and now i hear on NPR that AMazon is selling way more Ebooks than hardbacks !? My career (childrens book illustrator) is surely over, if it ever even started. Bugh. Sorry for the downer comment. :(
    Miranda´s last post ..What To Do With a Texas Hill Country Surplus

Reply to Miranda's comment

7. Kaytee on July 27, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I love hand me downs! My whole house is furnished by them (we’re in the young couple, new house, no money phase). I’ve only bought one chair in the whole house!
    Kaytee´s last post ..Best Jam Yet!

Reply to Kaytee's comment

• Susy on July 27, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Mr Chiots and I were like that as well when we were first married. All of that “hand me down” stuff eventually broke or was passed on to someone else that needed it and was replaced with something less “dorm room” like.

8. Jackie on July 27, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I’ve gotten hand-me-UP shoes from my little sister before. We wear the same size, but she likes shoes (and fashion) much more than I do. When she needed space on her shoe rack, I benefited :) I am very much a reluctant shopper, since I’d rather be outside in the garden.
    Jackie´s last post ..Is Bella really a Brahma or not

Reply to Jackie's comment

9. deedee on July 27, 2010 at 9:32 pm

am i mistaken, or is it someone’s birthday today??? if so, happy bday:) i’ll be in your “neck of the woods” in a couple of weeks!

Reply to deedee's comment

10. nic@nipitinthebud on August 11, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I get my husbands hand me down laptops too. I’ve got a Macbook now but still can’t bring myself to part with my ancient Powerbook G4. It’s old and tired but you never forget your first love do you ;o) And they don’t make the wee little aluminium 12” now – it was so handy for carrying around. I’ve transferred all my docs and photos but all my contacts are still on it as the address book is not compatible with newer versions of Mac OSx. At least it gives me an excuse for hanging on to it!

Reply to nic@nipitinthebud's comment