On the Road

August 4th, 2010

Mr Chiots and I are still on the road, we’ll be arriving home later today. Those of you who guessed Monticello were right. I’ve always wanted to go and we finally made it on Monday. After driving up the Skyline Drive, and doing a few short hikes in the Shenandoah Mountains, we ended up in Cumberland, MA and enjoyed some in season soft shelled crab at a small restaurant near our hotel. I haven’t had time even to download all my photos, so I’ll be posting about it more in depth later this week or early next.

Today I’ll leave you with Thomas Jefferson’s 10 Rules to Live by:
1. Never put off tomorrow what you can do today.
2. Never trouble another for what you can do yourself.
3. Never spend your money before you have earned it.
4. Never buy what you don’t want because it is cheap.
5. Pride costs more than hunger, thirst and cold.
6. We seldom repent of having eaten too little.
7. Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly.
8. How much pain the evils have cost us that never happened.
9. Take things always by the smooth handle.
10. When angry, count ten before you speak, if very angry, count to a hundred.

Have you ever been to Monticello or a past president’s home?

12 Comments to “On the Road”
  1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: On the Road http://goo.gl/fb/oDGQ4 #miscellaneus #uncategorized #monticello […]

Reply to Tweets that mention On the Road | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm on August 4, 2010 at 6:21 am

Those are 10 great rules to live by!
    Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm´s last post ..Making Flower Jellies

Reply to Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm's comment

3. Annette on August 4, 2010 at 7:37 am

I’ve been to Monticello and LOVED IT! An amazing place; I could so live there.
    Annette´s last post ..Egglets

Reply to Annette's comment

4. MAYBELLINE on August 4, 2010 at 9:04 am

No sadly. Nixon’s is the closest to me.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Wisteria

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

5. Mija on August 4, 2010 at 9:26 am

We lived near DC for about a year and took full advantage of it.

I loved Mount Vernon so much – the gardens were fascinating.

My favorite of all though – while not a president’s home – was Williamsburg. Their examples of homestead gardens were my inspiration for my garden. Seeing things growing under big, glass cloches in December is a memory I’ll always treasure.

Reply to Mija's comment

• Susy on August 4, 2010 at 10:41 am

Someday we’ll go to Williamsburg. I read a book about their gardens once and it was fascinating. We didn’t have enough time on this short trip.

6. Greg on August 4, 2010 at 10:17 am

Glad you guys had such a good time, Susy. A well-deserved break!

And I loved that list from TJ. I posted it to my blog today, too (with credit/link back to you, of course) :-)
    Greg´s last post ..Ten Rules To Live By – Thomas Jefferson

Reply to Greg's comment

7. soymeche on August 4, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Lucky! I’ve always wanted to visit the place that inspired my most favorite quote ever….

“I have often thought that if heaven had given me choice of my position and calling, it should have been on a rich spot of earth, well watered, and near a good market for the productions of the garden. No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden. Such variety of subjects, some one always coming to perfection, the failure of one repaired by the success of another, and instead of one harvest a continued one through the year. Under a total want of demand except for our family table, I am still devoted to the garden.” – T. Jefferson

Reply to soymeche's comment

8. Kaytee on August 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I absolutely LOVED Monticello when I went. I would love to go back. I’ve seen so many historic places and have loved them all. They are just so neat to see.
    Kaytee´s last post ..Blueberry Jam

Reply to Kaytee's comment

9. Andres on August 4, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Love that area, My wife and I met when we both went to undergrad there at the University of Virginia, we will always have fond memories of living there for 4 years, and we know that we would jump at the chance to move back if we are ever given it.
    Andres´s last post ..Tonights Dinner

Reply to Andres's comment

10. Beegirl on August 5, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Oh Suzy.. We lived in Charlottesville for a few years and it still feels like home. I miss the Blue Ridge more than I can say.. Mr. Jefferson and Charlottesville too. Popped down for a long weekend with friends back in May. Stopped by Shenandoah National Park too. You’ve got to do Williamsburg ~ You would love it! Sigh.. now I am “home” sick..
    Beegirl´s last post ..Simply Summer – Yak Attack

Reply to Beegirl's comment

11. Karla on August 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I lived in Charlottesville for about three years, and visited Monticello four times. The plants that stand out the most in my memory are the red cabbage, asparagus, and grapes. A fun time to go there is July 4, when there is a naturalization ceremony with a keynote speech by a famous immigrant (different every year).

Reply to Karla's comment