The First Brandywines of the Season

September 25th, 2010

The tomato season is almost over and I’ve already taken out 80% of my plants. I have a few nice plants left and among them is my ‘Brandywine’ tomato. It doesn’t produce a ton of fruit, but they’re the quintessential tomato when it comes to flavor and type. The tomatoes are HUGE and the flavor is probably the best as far as classic tomato flavor goes, at least in my book.

There are a lot of varieties of ‘Brandywine’ tomatoes, these are from saved seeds from a tomato a friend gave me so I’m not sure what variety it is. I’ll be saving seeds for these for years to come. I’ll always grow at least one vine even though I only get 5-10 tomatoes from it, it’s worth the space for such delicious flavor.

Do you grow ‘Brandywine’ tomatoes? What tomato provides your favorite perfect tomato flavor?

10 Comments to “The First Brandywines of the Season”
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: The First Brandywines of the Season http://goo.gl/fb/dUKoH #tomato #brandywinetomatoes #heirloomtomatoes [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention The First Brandywines of the Season | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Sue on September 25, 2010 at 5:46 am

I LOVE Brandywines! This is the first year since moving to Northern Michigan that I have gotten some—our season is usually too short (but that doesn’t stop me from trying every year!). This years’ hot humid weather allowed me to actually get some, and talk about heaven on a plate.
    Yours look fantastic—mine were all cracked. We don’t get much for rain all summer, so I imagine the recent rains are responsible for that.

Reply to Sue's comment

3. Patrice Wassmann on September 25, 2010 at 8:13 am

I grew some for the first time this year, and they are delicious!! Mine did get a lot of cracks though.

Reply to Patrice Wassmann's comment

4. cannedquilter on September 25, 2010 at 8:29 am

I grow Brandywines every year and my garden would not be complete without them! I also love a big yellow bicolor slicer called Big Rainbow. The flavor is just divine.
    cannedquilter´s last post ..Sinfully Chocolate Birthday Cake

Reply to cannedquilter's comment

5. risa b on September 25, 2010 at 10:07 am

We did for awhile but our season is too short, though they are certainly wonderful in the better years. Currently we are relying on “Mortgage Lifter” for almost-as-good-but-hey-it-turns-red. :)
    risa b´s last post ..Mother-Daughter time

Reply to risa b's comment

6. Amy on September 25, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Brandywine~is my favorite and one I have always grown……another…..is the german pink……It is delicious too..

Reply to Amy's comment

7. Debbie on September 25, 2010 at 8:44 pm

We planted Brandywines this year too; they’re still all green. (I’m in SW Ontario.) I’ve picked all but a few and am hoping they’ll ripen inside. I was too afraid to lose them to frost so picking was the best option. :) Of course I’ve had them before and will definitely grow them again – despite only getting 7 tomatoes in all.
    Debbie´s last post ..right now- I AM

Reply to Debbie's comment

8. Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm on September 26, 2010 at 10:10 am

I have trouble getting ripe tomates form the later ones too, also in Ontario. I might start them earlier indoors under lights this year.

Those Brandiwines look great!
    Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm´s last post ..My Pie and Wine Garden Collection

Reply to Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm's comment

9. Seren Dippity on September 27, 2010 at 12:17 am

I’ve planted Brandywines 3 years in a row because of raves like yours… so far I’ve not managed to get one tomato from them. I know gardeners in our area grow them… so maybe I’ve tried the wrong variety. Next spring maybe I’ll get a start from a local nursery instead of growing from the seeds I purchased. If I ever do get one to produce (and if it has the wow flavor everyone says) I might have to save the darned seeds and work to adapt a variety to my micro climate.

Reply to Seren Dippity's comment

10. Lisa on September 30, 2010 at 7:46 am

I live in SE Pa where the Brandywine originated.Absolutely nothing compares for flavor.The yield isn’t always very abundant,but I don’t care.I would never NOT grow them.

Reply to Lisa's comment