Quote of the Day: C.S. Lewis

September 26th, 2010

“We live, in fact, in a world starved
for solitude, silence, and private:
and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.”

C.S. Lewis (The Weight of Glory)

One of the things I love about gardening is the solitude and silence. Gardening gives me time to think, time to unwind, time to contemplate and time to simply enjoy some peace and quiet.

What things help you find solitude and silence?

8 Comments to “Quote of the Day: C.S. Lewis”
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: #Quote of the Day: C.S. Lewis http://goo.gl/fb/qE06T #cslewisquote #meditation #solitude [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention C.S. Lewis quote about solitude | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Kim on September 26, 2010 at 9:35 am

my new cottage garden is my place to get away
    Kim´s last post ..Goodbye summer garden

Reply to Kim's comment

3. Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm on September 26, 2010 at 10:06 am

Gardening is definitely one of them! Also painting, sewing, walking
    Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm´s last post ..My Pie and Wine Garden Collection

Reply to Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm's comment

4. tj on September 26, 2010 at 10:36 am

…Def’ gardening, also sewing and rug hooking. And sometimes I just like to sit quietly on the screen porch and just be… :o)

…Sunday blessin’s you two… :o)

Reply to tj's comment

5. Sandy on September 26, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Well, aside from gardening, I like to go to the pool to swim. I always make sure to spend some time to just float on my back. The water muffles sounds and I do deep breathing exercises as I just float there.
    Sandy´s last post ..Grapes- sauce- and my sunny weekend to do list

Reply to Sandy's comment

6. Jim on September 26, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Daily I go to the cemetery where my wife, parents and brother are buried and where one day I will join them. There, I walk, think, plan my virtual place in the country that will never be in reality, and there I remember things that comfort me.

Reply to Jim's comment

7. Kelly on September 27, 2010 at 9:35 am

With a 6yr old and 3yr old boys, quiet and solitude do not exist in my world until after bedtime. At that time, though, it’s in the bath with hubby. Sometimes I can tune out the chaos while I knit. Sometimes when the oldest is in school and the youngest is playing in the yard and I’m sitting watching the leaves fall. The garden isn’t my quiet solitude, but it is my pleasure in teaching and watching my littlest gardener grow. He’s great at planting seeds – I’ll have morning glories *everywhere* next year!
    Kelly´s last post ..A Calculated Risk