The First Snowfall of the Season

November 8th, 2010

Friday evening, right before we went to bed, we noticed it was snowing. Usually our first snow fall doesn’t amount to anything, it melts off as soon as it falls. When we got up Saturday morning we were amazed that we had about a half inch of snow on the ground.

The first snow is always exciting. If it’s going to be cold outside I want to have snow on the ground. Snow really brightens things up during the long dark winter months in NE Ohio. The snow is also good for the garden as it provides a nice insulating layer for the plants and the soil.

Do you live in a climate where you get snow? Do you like snow or do you wish it didn’t fall?

18 Comments to “The First Snowfall of the Season”
  1. Sue on November 8, 2010 at 4:53 am

Snow is the ENTIRE reason we moved to northern Michigan. We love it, and certainly hope for a LOT of it. Skiing, snowmobiling, long walks during a snowfall……….I love it all!

Reply to Sue's comment

2. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: The First Snowfall of the Season http://goo.gl/fb/Xm3YH #weather #firstsnow #snow […]

Reply to Tweets that mention The First Snowfall of the Season | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

3. Dani on November 8, 2010 at 5:22 am

Oh beautiful – wish I was there… All we have to look forward to is a season of temperatures in the mid to late 30’s ( oC )
    Dani´s last post ..Our journey

Reply to Dani's comment

4. Rhonda on November 8, 2010 at 8:15 am

I’m in Louisville, KY. We get some snow but not as much as I’d like. There are times when we get a lot, but that’s not often. I’m with you though, if it’s cold out, I want snow.

I think, thanks to climate change, more and more we are becoming a southern climate state. A few years ago I was driving around town with the top down on my car and it was December. This year I harvested half a bushel of red tomatoes in October … crazy.

Reply to Rhonda's comment

5. deedee on November 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

sooooo pretty! we had flurries, but that’s it. jealous!

Reply to deedee's comment

6. Kelly (The Sorry Gardener) on November 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

Wow. I didn’t expect that from you this morning–and all over your poor Nicotiana that was so lovely just a few days ago.

I hope we get some snow this year. Last winter was so boring without any.
    Kelly (The Sorry Gardener)´s last post ..Finally! All of my plants are in the ground

Reply to Kelly (The Sorry Gardener)'s comment

7. MAYBELLINE on November 8, 2010 at 10:03 am

Very, very rarely will it snow in Bakersfield, California. When it does snow, the entire town stops. We completely shut down.

Aren’t we pitiful?
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Road Trip Kernville

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

8. Kim on November 8, 2010 at 10:23 am

I LOVE snow! We don’t get it here much. Having snow envy today.
    Kim´s last post ..Braided hair for Bobbie

Reply to Kim's comment

9. Kelly on November 8, 2010 at 10:41 am

I love snow. In like mind with you, if it’s cold, it should be snowy. We don’t often get snow that sticks until after Christmas here (*cries*) but I’ll still wildly hope for snow on my birthday (late Nov)… even if it doesn’t stick, I’d be happy.
    Kelly´s last post ..Tarot – Year Ahead

Reply to Kelly's comment

10. Chandelle on November 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

I grew up in Arizona so when I moved to Salt Lake City, I was pretty impressed with the snow. For the first season. By the seventh I couldn’t wait to escape. Six months of snow is too much. Now I live in NorCal and couldn’t be happier. If I never see snow again I’ll die a happy woman.
    Chandelle´s last post ..end-of-summer curry and indian-spiced cultured baby squash

Reply to Chandelle's comment

11. Kathryn on November 8, 2010 at 11:57 am

We live in the mountains of Southern California (about 100 miles due east of LA). We get quite a lot of snow here some winters. What is amazing to me is that our growing season here (So Cal! but at nearly 7,000 ft above sea level) is shorter than where i grew up in Montana.

We do enjoy living where there are seasons, a short spring, a temperate summer, beautiful fall colors, and SNOW! But we also enjoy that when we are tired of it, we can be in the desert in an hour or less, and away from the cold.
    Kathryn´s last post ..Numbhead

Reply to Kathryn's comment

12. girlgonegardening on November 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

snow is better then no snow if it has to be cold and gray out. Plus, it’s fun to smack your loved ones with snowballs when they least expect it.

Reply to girlgonegardening's comment

13. Vegetable Garden Cook on November 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

Beautiful! Sometimes I wish it snows more here (Pacific NW) but then again we have such mild weather right now. It’s about 60 degrees outside.
    Vegetable Garden Cook´s last post ..Wild mushrooms—check out the pictures of the mushrooms on my property

Reply to Vegetable Garden Cook's comment

14. Debbie on November 8, 2010 at 1:07 pm

So pretty. I’m in SW Ontario and we don’t have any snow yet. It’s coming, of course, but right now it’s bright and sunny out.. So far, we are still celebrating Autumn. :)
    Debbie´s last post ..right now- I AM

Reply to Debbie's comment

15. Helen on November 8, 2010 at 2:16 pm

I love snow if I dont have to go out in it. Here in the UK we are pathetic at dealing with snow, everything grinds to a halt and the roads are trecherous. If I can stay at home I love going in the garden and taking photos or going for a walk. There is always a strange silence wen it snows
    Helen´s last post ..I know I said I don’t grow edibles but…………!

Reply to Helen's comment

16. Laura on November 8, 2010 at 3:19 pm

jealous…i’m very jealous! i LOVE snow. i agree with you that if it is going to be cold, there should be snow on the ground. non of this 10 degrees and no snow. what’s the point in that? i live in NC where there used to be good snow falls back in the old days, but now it is rare that we see good stay put snows (as i call them). they are usually snow for a little bit then melt before it finishes falling. sigh…
    your photos are beautiful, thank you so much for sharing your first snowfall of the season with us.
    blessings
    ~*~
    Laura´s last post ..gone too quickly

Reply to Laura's comment

17. Jennifer Fisk on November 8, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Once it is time for snow, I want lots of it. If it has to be cold and snowy I want to be able to snowshoe and cross country ski. I want that feeling of tiredness to come back home with and plunk in front of the wood stove for an evening which probably includes a nap.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

18. Lisa on November 9, 2010 at 1:59 pm

beautiful photos!
    We don’t get alot of snow here on the Western Oregon coast. in fact, last year we didn’t have any!
    When we do get it, it never stays for long.

I love looking out over the fields covered with a freshly-fallen snow. so pretty!

Reply to Lisa's comment