Celebrate a Handmade/Homemade Holiday

December 8th, 2010

Many years ago we started celebrating a handmade/homemade holiday with my family. It’s been a lot of fun every year trying to come up with things that I can make for everyone. One year I made cloth shopping bags, another year I made jams/jellies and cinnamon rolls. Last year I started the tradition of making calendars and carried it on this year (I had family members asking if I was going to do it again, so I guess it was a hit). I certainly enjoy making gifts myself since I’m a very creative person.

Celebrating a handmade holiday can be difficult if you aren’t creatively inclined, you may feel like you don’t have the skills to make something. You may not have the time to make gifts yourself. You can still celebrate by buying handmade from others. Your local farmer’s market may be a great resource and Etsy.com is fabulous as well. I have purchased a few gifts from Etsy this year, things I don’t have time to make myself, or things I don’t want to invest in the supplies to make. Head over to Not Dabbling today – I’m posting about how to make a few simple gifts with scrap fabric.

Do you ever make gifts or buy handmade from others? Any great ideas for handmade/homemade gifts for this holiday season?

14 Comments to “Celebrate a Handmade/Homemade Holiday”
  1. Helen/patientgardener on December 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

This year I have partially done homemade stuff – a knitted jumper for my Mum and some homemade biscuits for my Uncle
    Helen/patientgardener´s last post ..Malvern isn’t Narnia you know!

Reply to Helen/patientgardener's comment

2. kristin on December 8, 2010 at 9:17 am

Only food. Me and crafts don’t get along.
    kristin´s last post ..Drifting Away

Reply to kristin's comment

• Susy on December 8, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I can imagine that for some reason – I’ve seen on your blog that you can make some killer cordials & stuff though – I’m sure those are always welcome Christmas gifts!

3. Melissa on December 8, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love to give handmades for the holidays, too. It’s nice to give a meaningful gift. My children are each getting a lap quilt (intended for use in the car) and I’m making matching pajama bottoms for each of us this year. If I get time, I’ll make several drawstring bags for a cousin who is going off to college in a few months.

I’m definitely a winter seamstress. My machine doesn’t get much use if the weather is warm enough for me to be outside getting my hands dirty.
    Melissa´s last post ..Gluten free apple oat muffins soaked in kefir

Reply to Melissa's comment

• Susy on December 8, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I’m also more of a winter sewer, my sewing machine gathers much dust during the spring/summer/fall, then in winter it gets quite the workout, especially in December right before Christmas.

4. Miranda on December 8, 2010 at 10:40 am

We’re doing all hand made or home grown this year – but of course NOW would be when i misplace my sewing shears! Frustration is building.
    Miranda´s last post ..Dont Forget the Birds

Reply to Miranda's comment

• Susy on December 9, 2010 at 11:08 pm

I have shower caddy thing that I keep all my sewing supplies in, keeps me from losing things. I also have found that keeping various pairs of sharp scissors throughout the house keeps me from grabbing my sewing one for other tasks.

5. Michelle on December 8, 2010 at 11:46 am

I would LOVE to do a simple, thoughtful handmade Christmas. Unfortunately, nobody else in my family agrees.

I love the hot handle cover…darling.
    Michelle´s last post ..happy chickens

Reply to Michelle's comment

6. Amy @ Homestead Revival on December 8, 2010 at 2:18 pm

We decided to go mostly to a handmade gift OR a gift of time together this Christmas. Our oldest daughter (who has a job and makes $), took us to lunch and a matinee play at the local performing arts theatre in our small town and we saw “It’s A Wonderful Life”! I loved this because it supported our local fine arts and we had a wonderful afternoon together as a family. Last year the girls made pillow cases for their cousins and this year, we are making button bracelets for them. We’re still working on some other items, but I think this will really be fun and yet, curb a lot of the commercialism and consumerism that has crept into Christmas.
    Amy @ Homestead Revival´s last post ..Cheese And Herb Biscuits

Reply to Amy @ Homestead Revival's comment

7. Missy on December 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

HOORAY! My amazing gift from last year made a cameo on the blog. It’s famous now for more reasons than laying under my Christmas tree.

Reply to Missy's comment

• Susy on December 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm

So glad you love it!

8. Janice on December 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Last year was the first year I gave away canned jam, fruit, and pickles, and I’ll be repeating that this year (assuming I can round up enough jars for everyone). I’m also making knitted felted clogs for 2 family members… they’re warm and cozy, perfect for lounging around the house in the morning.
    Janice´s last post ..2011 BirdWalker

Reply to Janice's comment

9. Janet Anderson on December 8, 2010 at 9:48 pm

In the past I have knit dishclothes, scarves, hats and socks for people and often bake…I make a very good fruitcake and have many family and friends who don’t think it should be used as a doorstop so they get some. :-)

Janet

Reply to Janet Anderson's comment

10. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: Celebrate a #Handmade/#Homemade Holiday http://goo.gl/fb/DuAeP #holidays #buyhandmade […]

Reply to Tweets that mention Celebrate a Handmade/Homemade Holiday | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment