Winter Activities

December 29th, 2010

One of the reasons I enjoy gardening is because it’s great exercise. The bad thing is that you can’t do it in the winter so you have to find something else to do. I enjoy doing yoga several times a week, we also enjoy going on walks. Yesterday however, we went bowling and ice skating, both wonderful winter activities.

We went with some friends and had a great time. It’s always great to get out in the winter and do something, especially when you live in a rural area like we do and don’t have things like this nearby!

Have you done anything fun lately?

12 Comments to “Winter Activities”
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: Winter #Activities http://goo.gl/fb/yGeJD #miscellaneous [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention Winter Activities | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Mrs. Whimsy on December 29, 2010 at 9:43 am

We love to snowshoe in the winter for exercise. It’s like a hike…only walking thru the woods in the snow. Great exercise and good fresh air.

Glad you had fun bowling and skating!
    Mrs. Whimsy´s last post ..Merry Yuletide!

Reply to Mrs. Whimsy's comment

• Susy on December 29, 2010 at 6:11 pm

I keep telling Mr Chiots we need to start snowshoeing, it seems like lots of fun.

3. Denise on December 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

good for you. I grew up ice skating – even took lessons. It cost a small fortune to go hear especially with three kids in tow. Growing up – I just went out to the pond as we lived in Michigan.
    Denise´s last post ..savoring

Reply to Denise's comment

4. Johua on December 29, 2010 at 11:50 am

This week, I got a mother lode of wood off of Craigslist. About 30 feet of oak trunk, between 16-24″ in diameter, and to boot, it was already felled and dragged to the guy’s front yard. All I had to do was buck it and roll it down hill into my trailer. But that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a ton of hard work.

I keep my wood in three general states: ready to burn, split and seasoning, and cut into rounds, but not yet split. The latter category is because, well, splitting is a lot of work, and the wood stacks quicker if it’s in rounds. When we burn through a rick of seasoned wood, I split a rick’s worth of rounds and stack it in the empty space. This winter, I had sort of fallen behind, but now that there’s this plethora of rounds, I’ve been madly splitting to empty out enough space in the “rounds” area to stack the new stuff. I’ve done about an hour of manual splitting and stacking every day since Sunday, on top of all the work actually getting the new wood, so when you wrote that, “you just have to find something else to do,” for exercise in the winter, I just laughed.
    Johua´s last post ..“Miracle Thaw” Alternative

Reply to Johua's comment

• Susy on December 29, 2010 at 6:10 pm

That is great exercise. We have dreams of getting a wood burner (we have someone that is going to give us a nice one) but we need to put in a chimney first, perhaps we’ll get that done this spring, then next winter I’ll be able to warm myself twice by heating with wood.

• Johua on December 29, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Do you mean like one of those wood-burning furnaces that installs outside your house and you circulate air through it, or do you mean like just a wood stove?
        Johua´s last post ..“Miracle Thaw” Alternative

to Johua's comment

• Susy on December 29, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Just a wood stove, the kind you have indoors.

to Susy's comment

• Johua on December 29, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Awesome. That what I have, and I love it sooo much.
        Johua´s last post ..“Miracle Thaw” Alternative

to Johua's comment

5. Mary S. on December 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm

In Minnesota, it helps to ski or skate to get through winter. I used to skate a lot, but have switched to cross-country skiing. We’ve had great weather for it this year. We also have shoveled tons of snow this year and that definitely counts as cardio.
    Mary S.´s last post ..Hoar Frost on the Garden

Reply to Mary S.'s comment

6. MAYBELLINE on December 29, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Not one cotton pickin’ thing.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Crop Review 2010 – Lettuce

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

7. RobinL on December 30, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I’ve been bad, and have not been exercising with all the Christmas rush. Hubby bowls two nights a week though. And my resolution is to get back to it!
    RobinL´s last post ..Christmas Evening