Quote of the Day: Theodore Roethke

January 30th, 2011

“Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light”
~ Theodore Roethke

As I look out on the gardens everything is nestled under a insulating blanket of snow. All of the peonies, irises, hydrangeas, hyssop, echinacea and all the other flowers in the garden are quietly waiting for the soil to warm in the spring to start growing and blooming.

Just like gardeners, they need a rest over the winter to produce such beauty during the summer. I thought this quote was perfect for this time of year because no doubt they’re all keeping the light in their roots underneath the snow. I think I’m most excited to see my hydrangeas this coming summer, they’re definitely one of my favorites!

What flower are you most excited about seeing during the next season?

10 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Theodore Roethke”
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mark mile, Susy Morris. Susy Morris said: #Quote of the Day: Theodore Roethke http://goo.gl/fb/XPMCj #theodoreroethkequote [...]

Reply to Tweets that mention Quote of the Day: Theodore Roethke | Chiot’s Run — Topsy.com's comment

2. Rene' Sharp on January 30, 2011 at 5:59 am

I also ADORE hydrangeas!! They last so well when you pick them and put them in vases. Last year my gardner hacked mine back so badly that this summer I have gotten almost no new heads. I have been so sad about this :(
    Rene’ Sharp´s last post ..Project Life Photos from last week

Reply to Rene’ Sharp's comment

3. Jennifer Fisk on January 30, 2011 at 10:31 am

Lady Slippers.I love looking around my woods for them and when they bloom, I know we are almost into summer and the garden will soon be producing fresh food.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

4. Nebraska Dave on January 30, 2011 at 10:43 am

Here in my yard in Nebraska the Crocus flower pushing up trough the last snow ground cover marks the end of winter and the beginning of spring and summer seasons. Those brightly colored flowers are definitely my favorite with tulips, daffidills, Iris, and peonias right behind. Those warm sunshine spring days on the front yard patio are always memorable days that bring joy and peace to the household.

Have a great favorite flower day.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

5. goatpod2 on January 30, 2011 at 10:48 am

I like looking at roses!

Amy

Reply to goatpod2's comment

6. Lynda on January 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm

My Auntie Jill’s wild violets…she dug them up on Mt. St. Helen’s before the eruption…and gifted me a pot full. They’ve been in my yard forever along side my husband’s grandmother Agnes’s violets. When they bloom, I know it’s time to finish up the Winter chores, because Spring is here! They started blooming here last week!
    Lynda´s last post ..Family Fun Night

Reply to Lynda's comment

7. annie on January 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Almond Verbena. They’re incredible fragrant flowers on large bushes and I planted 4 new one’s this fall. I also love Vitex and I always miss the Salvias in the winter.
    annie´s last post ..Todays Seeds Started

Reply to annie's comment

8. MAYBELLINE on January 30, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Love lilacs and wisteria; but I’m looking forward to some sunflowers.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Grey Garden

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

9. Kathi on January 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

The peonies that I divided from my mother’s plant after she passed away. It’s usually the first thing I see poking up through the ground.

Reply to Kathi's comment