A Valentine’s Day Surprise

February 10th, 2011

Last week Ethel Gloves contacted me because they wanted me to take a photo of their gloves for a Valentine’s Day promo. I didn’t have a pair of the lovely red Expression gloves, so they overnighted me a pair for the photos. Because of the ice storm that came through, the gloves were delayed and didn’t arrive until right before sunset on Thursday. I had a small window of opportunity to take a few photos for them, thankfully the lighting was PERFECT. With Mr Chiot’s help we braved the single digit temps and got a few great images for them.

I was thrilled to open up my e-mail yesterday to find one of my photos looking back at me. I went to their website and there it was again. If anyone is interested in getting a pair of Ethel’s (perhaps you can leave this blog open for your husband to see) there’s a special Valentine’s Day discount, use code: VALENTINE15 until February 28 to get 15% off your purchase.

I’m not a procrastinator so doing things last minute under the gun stresses me out big time! It was also super stressful because I’m not a professional photographer by any means, I simply love doing it for creative expression and to document what’s going on in my life and my garden. I’m definitely not a professional!

Are you a procrastinator, do like working under the gun, or are you a get everything done way ahead of time kind of person?

14 Comments to “A Valentine’s Day Surprise”
  1. Liz J on February 10, 2011 at 6:44 am

Great picture. I hadn’t heard of these gloves before you blogged about them a while back. They are definitely on my to gardening to get list. It’s funny too, the first line of that Ad fits me to a T. I am definitely a procrastinator and do well working under the gun. I actually wasn’t always like that, it’s happened with age :)

Reply to Liz J's comment

2. kristin on February 10, 2011 at 8:05 am

Neato–I think if companies are asking you to photograph their products for advertising purposes, you can consider yourself AT LEAST a pretty highly qualified amateur.
    kristin´s last post ..Speaking of Shoes

Reply to kristin's comment

3. Kat on February 10, 2011 at 8:38 am

I hadn’t heard about the gloves until I read your blog, too–and I got a pair about a month ago: the Garden 4x. I never liked wearing gardening gloves before…the Ethel gloves are really wonderful. There were a few warm days a couple weeks ago, and I wore them to battle the large patch of ivy by our front door. The ivy’s defeated, and now there’s room for a small herb garden, all thanks to Ethel gloves–and you!

Reply to Kat's comment

4. Kelly on February 10, 2011 at 9:29 am

This really equates to priority, for me. How I value the task leads to how procrastinat-y I am about it. Work for other people is done right away. Work to keep my job running smoothly is done almost right away (I’m a SAHM so keeping the house tidy, bread baked, etc). Work that I consider hobby (even if it’s not wholly for myself, like gardening) I work best under the gun. I get around this by creating “guns” for myself, like “I have to finish knitting this sweater before the yarn arrives for *this* sweater”.
    Kelly´s last post ..Garden 31

Reply to Kelly's comment

5. Mary W on February 10, 2011 at 9:50 am

About 10 years ago, I worked with someone who didn’t like stuff hanging over her head. She was a huge influence on me. It only took me 40 years to see the benefit of getting things done ahead of time!

Reply to Mary W's comment

6. goatpod2 on February 10, 2011 at 10:04 am

I’m not much of a procrastinator though.

Amy

Reply to goatpod2's comment

7. Karen on February 10, 2011 at 10:15 am

Coming from someone who used to work (accounting) for a stock imagery company, I hope they *also* sent you a few hundred dollars for your assignment photography work!

Reply to Karen's comment

8. Anne on February 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

For not being a professional it is a very lovely photo. Made me want to get a pair!
    Anne´s last post ..Were the Outdoor Photo of the week!

Reply to Anne's comment

9. Donna B. on February 10, 2011 at 11:52 am

If you won’t take “Professional” as your description then “Far-Accomplished Photographer” is what you should accept! hehe. I know many of us here absolutely adore your photos – from the simplest bathroom vanity down to how you adorn Ball Mason Jar’s and stringed lights to create one of the most unique christmas cards I’ve ever seen!
    Maybe I *should* leave a browser open on my boyfriend’s computer, send him a little hint of something to buy me – he always complains that I’m hard to shop for! All I want is a truckload of compost and a new shovel – I think gardener’s are the easiest to buy things for, hehe!

Wait. Valentines day is upon us… HMMM?

Reply to Donna B.'s comment

10. Morgan G on February 10, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Perfect timing! I need some new gloves and these are prettier than any pair I’ve had.

I am definitely not a procrastinator. I prefer to get things done in advance so I have time to revisit if I can make improvements or notice an error. I know many people who can deliver great results under pressure, that’s just not (always) me. :)
    Morgan G´s last post ..How to Lay a Pebble Pathway

Reply to Morgan G's comment

11. Xan on February 10, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I LOVE my Ethel gloves! Beautiful photo of a fantastic product.
    Xan´s last post ..Dark Days meal

Reply to Xan's comment

12. Debbie on February 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

What a great photo, Suzy, And how awesome it’s up on their website. I guess you are more “pro-” than you thought. :)

I have garden gloves that I bought a few years ago and they aren’t yet ready to be replaced…but oncre they are, I’m going to get Ethel’s, based soley on your recommendation.
    Debbie´s last post ..the 8th fire

Reply to Debbie's comment

• Debbie on February 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

And I’m a huge procrastinator. :)
      Debbie´s last post ..the 8th fire

Reply to Debbie's comment

13. Kim on February 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Great job under pressure Susie. Just so you know I never did receive the soap despite e-mailing her. No biggie but just figured you may want to know.
    Kim´s last post ..Almost That Time of the Year!

Reply to Kim's comment