So Long Winter – Hello Spring

May 5th, 2011

Yesterday I washed up all of our hats, mittens and scarfs to put them away for the year. They’ll be replaced in the organizer by the back door by gardening and work gloves. We’ll still have some cold weather here in NE Ohio, so I saved one pair of thin gloves and a hat for each of us, but all the heavy woolen items were stowed away in the cedar chest.

We have one of those shoe organizers on the back of the door in our laundry room, which is the main door we use for coming and going. In the winter it’s stocked with woolen and fleece mittens, hats and scarves. During spring/summer/fall it’s stocked with work gloves, gardening gloves, and a few garden tools that I don’t want to store in the garage (like my nice pruners).

It always makes me happy to do this. Kind of a final goodbye to winter and the official start of spring/summer and the gardening season. I’m always happy to replace my woolen mittens with a pair of Ethel gloves!

Do you have seasonal items that you swap in your coat closet?

10 Comments to “So Long Winter – Hello Spring”
  1. goatpod2 on May 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

We leave our farm clothes out all year long though!

Amy

Reply to goatpod2's comment

2. ryan on May 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

Your organization skills are amazing.
    ryan´s last post ..Spring Foraging new growth

Reply to ryan's comment

3. Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig on May 5, 2011 at 10:42 am

Our seasons are not as distinct as yours, sadly. And depending on where you’re at in town it could feel like winter on a summer night…namely the little league ball park! I don’t know why. But it’s been that way since I was a kid…we’d go to the ball park and freeze…then go home and be so hot we had to jump in the pool!

I love this idea for organizing things other than shoes. Brilliant!
    Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig´s last post ..Wednesday in the Word

Reply to Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig's comment

4. MAYBELLINE on May 5, 2011 at 10:44 am

Hats. My straw hat and Farmer MacGregor’s canvas desert hat came out recently to avoid sunburn.
    I would love to find a long sleeved, thin, loose shirt to keep my arms covered while gardening. We have trouble here with mosquitoes spreading West Nile Virus. Every shirt I find is too heavy or tight fitting. My hunt continues.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Scale Wranglers

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

• jules on May 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Maybelline: I found one of my Husband’s old office shirts that was too worn thin for him to wear anymore, a nice, light, white button down. It works great for wearing out in the garden or yard. MY problem is the biting flies; they leave huge welts on me and itch itch itch!

Reply to jules's comment

5. Sarah on May 5, 2011 at 11:48 am

I like that organization idea… have to figure out how to work that one into our space! Definitely a big moment for us is when we put away the winter boots and break out the sandals.
    Sarah´s last post ..Relevant

Reply to Sarah's comment

6. Stephanie on May 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Yep, it is just about that time here. I need to wash all the heavy coats and hats and scarves and pack them up as well. I store all the off-season clothes in bags in the cupboards above our closets. Definitely love the storage idea for the gloves! We are all constantly losing our work and garden gloves!
    Stephanie´s last post ..Let Them Eat Pie!

Reply to Stephanie's comment

7. Terry on May 5, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I am always happy when I wash my wool socks and put them away for the season! I did that a few weeks ago.
    Terry´s last post ..So Happy Together

Reply to Terry's comment

8. itchbay on May 5, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Out here in California, our seasons are a little different. I’ve just put away the umbrellas and rain boots, and pulled out all the flip-flops and shorts. Sweaters and turtlenecks have been put in boxes on the shelf and sundresses have been laundered and are ready to go. Just in time for this heatwave.

Sadly, the snow boots and gear got put away before the season was truly over, but with the price of gas and lift tickets, we called it quits a bit earlier than I would have liked. But it got replaced with camping gear, so I’m OK with that.
    itchbay´s last post ..SRP of the Week – Nelle Harper Lee

Reply to itchbay's comment

9. SixBalloons on May 6, 2011 at 4:03 am

Isn’t it great to be able to store away some of our cold weather items now that Spring has sprung?

Question about the gloves – do you actually use several pairs? I just have one pair of trusty garden gloves, and they seem to do the track for me… Just curious.
    SixBalloons´s last post ..Vegetable Garden Update – Growing Peas- Carrots- Onions- Mescluns and Mustards

Reply to SixBalloons's comment