Giant is Right!

May 21st, 2011

I’ve been out cleaning out the raised bed that housed the spinach that I overwintered. The plants started to bolt with the heat that we’ve been having. It seems that overwintered plants have gotten used to the cool weather and bolt at the first sign of heat – so make sure to succession plant to be prepared for this! While cleaning out the bed I came across this leaf on one of the ‘Giant Winter’ Spinach plants.

Now I understand why it’s called GIANT winter spinach – that’s the biggest spinach leaf I’ve ever seen. It’s pretty much a salad unto itself!

Have you ever harvested a giant vegetable in your garden?

11 Comments to “Giant is Right!”
  1. Tunesia on May 21, 2011 at 6:48 am

Whoa!

Reply to Tunesia's comment

2. kristin @ going country on May 21, 2011 at 8:39 am

I had some ENORMOUS parsnips last year. Not that that’s really a good thing, as the huge ones tend to have somewhat woody centers, but they were pretty fun to photograph and show to people.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..APD-Eat Your Vegetables

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

3. patsy on May 21, 2011 at 9:34 am

We’ve grown some enormous cabbage before, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen spinach leaves that big!
    patsy´s last post ..Is the World Coming to an End Tomorrow

Reply to patsy's comment

4. risa b on May 21, 2011 at 9:45 am

Well, we had a couple of overwintered cabbages that took up an enormous territory — the heads, sans humongous outer leaves, were bigger than baskeballs — does that count? Weren’t buggy, either. More’s the pity as we neither of us seem to do much with cabbage and have fallen back on kale, collards and bok choi as preferred.
    risa b´s last post ..Summer flats

Reply to risa b's comment

5. KimH on May 21, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow.. thats awesome.. Nope I havent grown any giant anything.. though we love to go to the Pumpkin Festival in Huntsburg and look at all the giant pumpkins.

6. Allison on May 21, 2011 at 10:21 am

I think we’ve all found a hiding giant zucchini!
    Allison´s last post ..Friday Favorites- A Box of Cuteness

Reply to Allison's comment

• Jennifer Fisk on May 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm

That was the one I was going to mention too.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

7. Daedre Craig on May 21, 2011 at 10:31 am

I’ve harvested some monster tomatoes…and of course the usual zucchinis the size of small child.
    Daedre Craig´s last post ..Board Meeting

Reply to Daedre Craig's comment

8. goatpod2 on May 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm

We’ve harvested some big zucchini, squash and some potatoes. We’ve had 5 foot pea plants before though.

Amy

Reply to goatpod2's comment

9. Marcia on May 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm

One year we had a bumper crop of carrots the size of a forearm.

Reply to Marcia's comment

10. Donna B. on May 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

Hnnghflghrrwa!! I hope you ate that like a wrap! It’s a tortilla on it’s own!!!
    I love monster-veggies! ♥