We Have a Frog

July 5th, 2011

I was trying to catch a small frog at my mom’s last week but we couldn’t find one. This weekend I was out working in the garden and found a frog in a container I keep under a small leak by the rain barrels. I figured he’d be much happier in the garden pond, so I took him up there.

Frogs eat all kinds of insects so they’re great to have in your garden pond. I’m very happy to add frogs to the list of amphibians I have in my gardens. Hopefully he’ll stick around as I sure enjoy seeing them sitting on the water lilies.

Do you have any amphibians in your garden?

16 Comments to “We Have a Frog”
  1. Sande on July 5, 2011 at 6:55 am

Our ponds are teeming with tadpoles right now. Hopefully the koi and goldfish won’t eat them all. We have several adult frogs around the ponds. I can hear one croaking just under the window right now. What kind is that one you found? I’m not familiar with him.

Reply to Sande's comment

2. pam on July 5, 2011 at 7:14 am

Well, he looks happy in his new location!!!
    pam´s last post ..Garden Tuesday–Daylilies!!

Reply to pam's comment

3. alison@thisbloominglife on July 5, 2011 at 7:22 am

In summer I love sitting outside in the evening and listening to the frogs. They like to sit on the glass of the windows and one day I will manage to surprise them! Tonight we are listening to 100km gale force winds and just hoping all will ok.
    alison@thisbloominglife´s last post ..A day to stay inside

Reply to alison@thisbloominglife's comment

4. Melissa on July 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

We live very close to water- a creek- yet I never see frogs about. I think that’s really odd. I wish we had some-could use them if they could survive my dogs!
    Melissa´s last post ..Composting!

Reply to Melissa's comment

5. Sherri on July 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

Due to heavy rains this past month, there’s standing water in the fields and pastures around our home. This has created luxury conditions for frogs! Each night, we are lulled to sleep by the sounds of THOUSANDS of frogs singing their lovely chorus. I love that sound so much….
    Sherri´s last post ..Superb Banana Loaf

Reply to Sherri's comment

6. Estelle on July 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

I just saw a frog in my garden yesterday!!! I was happy too, probably means my yard is nice and healthy!

Reply to Estelle's comment

7. Lisa on July 5, 2011 at 10:41 am

Nice. Cute wood frog. They don’t spend as much of their time in water as green frogs or bullfrogs, but it’s a great addition to your pond, nonetheless.

Reply to Lisa's comment

8. MAYBELLINE on July 5, 2011 at 11:04 am

Man, I wish I did. I have offered cash to young boys for any toads; but nothing so far.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Happy Birthday, America!

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

• Susy on July 5, 2011 at 11:08 am

You will soon I’m guessing, I would have searched high and low for a frog/toad to sell a neighbor who wanted one.

9. farmgal on July 5, 2011 at 12:17 pm

We have lots of frogs and toads on the farm and get to listen to them sing all evening long, its a lovely sound, birds all day and frogs for most of the night, throw in the fireflys, and the summer night sky and you just feel one step closer to the it all.

Reply to farmgal's comment

10. Jaye Whitney on July 5, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Frogs – lots!!! Love them :) Lizards and snakes.

Reply to Jaye Whitney's comment

11. Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm on July 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm

No, unfortunately. I do have toads, however and garder snakes!
    Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm´s last post ..Squash for 2011

Reply to Sheryl at Providence Acres Farm's comment

• Susy on July 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I keep hoping to see a snake, but only a dead black snake so far. My mom has a lot of snakes, even water snakes in her pond.

12. SewLindaAnn on July 6, 2011 at 12:06 am

I don’t have a pond, but in my garden and around the house I’ve got toads. I love them, especially those little bitty ones about an inch wide. I’m putting toad houses all over the place to encourage them.

Reply to SewLindaAnn's comment

13. Miranda@eCarpet Cleaning Service on July 6, 2011 at 4:43 am

Beautiful photo of a wood frog! The frog looks surely happy in his new home. I guess you should also gave the frog a name.:) Hope to here more stories about this little pond hopper!
    Miranda@eCarpet Cleaning Service´s last post ..Local Carpet Cleaning

Reply to Miranda@eCarpet Cleaning Service's comment

14. Julie on July 25, 2011 at 10:18 am

I have the occasional little frog in the undergrowth but only after a particular wet spell of weather.
    Julie´s last post ..Pear blossom??

Reply to Julie's comment