A Little Something Different

July 27th, 2011

A month or so ago, the leeks that I had overwintered in my mom’s garden started to bloom. We thought about pulling them out to make way for something else, but left them for a while because they’re quite beautiful and beneficial.

When they opened up I cut some to put on my table. This year I’ve been trying to keep more fresh things from the garden on the dining room table to enjoy them.

I loved the leek blooms so much I might start planting any extra leeks I have in my front flowerbed just for their beautiful blooms. Of course you can’t really harvest them and use them after blooming because they get woody. I’m happy to sacrifice a few leeks and onions for some beautiful blooms.

Do you ever let any of your leeks or onions bloom?

15 Comments to “A Little Something Different”
  1. Norma on July 27, 2011 at 6:54 am

Yes, I think they look lovely too!
    Never thought of this.

Reply to Norma's comment

2. Melissa on July 27, 2011 at 7:57 am

I let some onions bloom this year! They were so pretty- one of my favorite things to add to a bouquet!
    Melissa´s last post ..Can It Forward: Canning Tomatoes

Reply to Melissa's comment

3. Allison on July 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

I have yet to plant leeks [need to do that!] and I haven’t had onion blooms that big! Those are just gorgeous! I love letting chives bloom in the garden though in Spring – they are so pretty!
    Allison´s last post ..Remodeling…the Barn!

Reply to Allison's comment

4. Daedre Craig on July 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

I used a ton of onions flowers in my bouquets for the farmer’s market last year. They look good and last a long time. I let my onions flower again this year, but I recently pulled them all out because they were flopping across all my garden paths.
    Daedre Craig´s last post ..Accidental Root Vegetables

Reply to Daedre Craig's comment

5. Sue Nugent on July 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

What a strange occurrence. I planted leeks for the first time this year. I’ll see if they do that.I have had onions to form a similar bloom.The kind that fall over and make new onions for the next year.
    Sue Nugent´s last post ..Oh,Brendie,my dear friend! I wish I could help.

Reply to Sue Nugent's comment

6. Miranda on July 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm

LOVE letting them bloom. The bees do too….. Though i disagree about not being able to use them. I love to throw garlic blooms in a sautee or on the grill: delish!
    Miranda´s last post ..Travel Log: Cow Ponds

Reply to Miranda's comment

7. KimH on July 27, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I dont grow leeks but I do bring in some of the chive blooms and put them in tiny bottles on my counter.. I like very small bottles with just one to three longer blossoms or one with a piece of grass of some sort.. more dainty and airy I suppose… ♥

I dont have a whole lot to bring in as far as a cutting garden but I do enjoy a few here & there.. :D

8. Maggie on July 27, 2011 at 7:36 pm

I didn’t know leeks and onions flowered! Your leek flowers look beautiful! Very nice pictures! The only thing that I noticed flowering was this tiny tiny basil bush in the corner of my yard. They’re not so impressive to look at though, but there’s still some kind of flower growing from it!
    Maggie´s last post ..Living with Tinnitus

Reply to Maggie's comment

9. MAYBELLINE on July 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

…chives too.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Can’t Judge a Flower by its Bud

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

10. Tammey on July 27, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I would like to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY today! I noticed it was your birthday on Twitter…I hope you and Mr. Chiot’s take a day off and celebrate!

Reply to Tammey's comment

11. alison@thisbloominglife on July 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Aren’t they gorgeous. I’m a huge fan of letting things flower, the edibles make inspiring arrangements. My favourite as bouquet fillers is continental parsley flowers.
    alison@thisbloominglife´s last post ..Winter mornings in the country

Reply to alison@thisbloominglife's comment

12. Anna on July 28, 2011 at 6:40 am

Tiny onion and leek flowers can be eaten in salads, too. They add a pretty Spring touch!
    Anna´s last post ..Plantes per plantar a la riba d’una bassa

Reply to Anna's comment

13. Sincerely,Emily on July 28, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Yes! love onion and chive blooms in a vase. I keep meaning to plant allium too, someday! Emily
    Sincerely,Emily´s last post ..Making Ice Cream

Reply to Sincerely,Emily's comment

14. Tracy Willans on July 30, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I have giant garlic flowers which I let dry and they look the same beautiful pink/purple balls for months.

Reply to Tracy Willans's comment

15. Matt Richmond on August 8, 2011 at 5:48 am

Not quite as spectacular as yours but I have left my chive flowers to bloom and I love them – they last quite a long time as well!

Reply to Matt Richmond's comment