The Algonquin Mill Festival in Carrollton, OH

October 10th, 2011

Mr Chiots and I have a fall tradition; to kick off the fall season, we always attend the Algonquin Mill Festival with some friends. It’s an old timey festival featuring lots of steam engines, the main one being a big grain mill which grinds flour that you can buy at the festival. They also use this flour in the pancakes that a local club makes and sells. We always kick off our time with a big plate of hotcakes, which we smother in homemade maple syrup that we take in a jar.

After a hearty breakfast we spend taking in all the sights: the old saw mill cutting logs, antique farm and garden equipment, local artisans are doing everything from chair caning to wool rug hooking. I set up a slide show so you could see all the sights. To view in full screen click on the icon in the top left hand corner, click the same icon to exit full screen mode.

No flash player!

It looks like you don't have flash player installed. Click here to go to Macromedia download page.

Do you have any great fall festivals in your area? or any thing you do to kick off the season?

17 Comments to “The Algonquin Mill Festival in Carrollton, OH”
  1. Joan on October 10, 2011 at 7:45 am

Common Ground Fair in Unity Maine. It’s a great old fashioned fair with a real sustainability focus. No rides or anything like that – lots of good local food, animals, gardens, people selling low impact heating systems and other products… It’s something that we look forward to all year!

Reply to Joan's comment

2. daisy on October 10, 2011 at 7:56 am

What a great festival! Those pancakes look divine!
    We are still waiting for the weather to turn, so no celebrating fall yet! We do have a big gardening festival coming up at the end of the month. More natives for the garden!
    daisy´s last post ..Banana Bread

Reply to daisy's comment

3. Andrea Duke on October 10, 2011 at 8:11 am

I think I’ve wrote you before about my Grandparents being a big part of this festival years ago. I spent a week in the summer making sauerkraut and riding the tractors full of cabbage back and forth. My Grandparents square-danced and they had shows there. I’ll always remember Alconquin MIlls! :)

Reply to Andrea Duke's comment

4. Dave on October 10, 2011 at 8:36 am

The pancake picture is making me hungry! Festivals are big here in Tennessee. I think every weekend has one nearby. The closest was about 10 days ago called The Ham Festival. It’s a small one but good for kids. We go to get the natural raw honey that one particular beekeeper brings each year for sale. ‘Sourwood’ honey is pretty good!
    Dave´s last post ..Time for a New Look

Reply to Dave's comment

5. Allison on October 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

We have a fall family hayride at our orchard and my favorite is having the kids bob for apples :)
    Allison´s last post ..Getting Back to Sustainable Foods

Reply to Allison's comment

6. goatpod2 on October 10, 2011 at 9:41 am

We have a lot of festivals around here but we don’t usually go to them though.

Amy

Reply to goatpod2's comment

7. Brittany P. on October 10, 2011 at 9:58 am

That looks like a lot of fun and great old ways to learn about too. I have a love of the old ways and learning to do old-fashioned crafts. Here we have the Sweet Potato Festival nearby and then Chehaw Park has a wonderful Wild Indian Festival where you can see indian ways and pioneer ways displayed. We went to the Wild Indian Festival and saw indian dances, old-fashioned crafts being done such as weaving, and lots of old fashioned cooking with the old kind of cast iron pot. I like that sort of thing. The food was old fashioned and devine. :o)

Reply to Brittany P.'s comment

8. Sincerely,Emily on October 10, 2011 at 10:03 am

Alconquin Mills sounds like a great fall festival. I know this isn’t a “fall festival” but I associate it with fall… up in MN I used to go to a Renaissance Festival in August. In our area in TX there are a lot of German settlers and there is a nice October Fest that we have gone to a few times. I look forward to going this year. I love hearing the yodeler/singer there.
    Sincerely,Emily´s last post ..RAIN! It RAINED!

Reply to Sincerely,Emily's comment

9. Sofie Dittmann on October 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

Those are some really nice snapshots from what I bet was a wonderful time. I have to drag Alptekin to that next year, I bet he’d like it.
    Sofie Dittmann´s last post ..2011 Wayne County Drive-It Yourself Farm Tour

Reply to Sofie Dittmann's comment

10. Estelle on October 10, 2011 at 11:13 am

Yes! Here in Kennett Square we have the Mushroom Festival, as our town produces most of the mushrooms that are sold in the US. Mushroom risotto, mushroom spring rolls… It’s all good!
    Estelle´s last post ..Coulis de tomate bionaturæ

Reply to Estelle's comment

11. Lona on October 10, 2011 at 12:24 pm

The old time Fall Festivals are always so much fun. What a wonderful weekend we had for them too.
    Lona´s last post ..Echinacea Sombrero Sandy Yellow

Reply to Lona's comment

12. Jennifer Fisk on October 10, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Like Joan, my celebration of fall begins with the Common Ground Fair in Unity, ME. It always happens around the Equinox so it is just the most fitting way to begin the season.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

13. itchbay on October 10, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Oh, I miss the midwestern autumn festivals! When I lived in Michigan, I loved going to the cider mills every weekend.

Out here in Northern California, we don’t really celebrate autumn as much. I do like going to poke around in the fields at our CSA, seeing what they’re growing for my winter boxes.
    itchbay´s last post ..Seasonal congress: pumpkin scones and shorts

Reply to itchbay's comment

14. Sierra on October 10, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Wow, we will definitely check that out next year!

Reply to Sierra's comment

15. mistresseve on October 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm

In addition to the Apple Butter Festival (which was last weekend and mentioned in yesterday’s post), we have a lot of little farms and orchards that host small “festivals” with hayrides and corn mazes and such. I think there is something to do here every weekend at least until mid November, and many of them are free (unless you buy something, of course!)

Reply to mistresseve's comment