Predominately Purple for Brooklyn

October 27th, 2011

I was out working in the garden earlier this week and noticed that most of the things blooming in my garden happen to be purple. I’m not quite sure how or why this happened, but it’s kind of funny. Most people have lots of marigolds and mums blooming this time of year because I don’t really have any in the garden.

I’m glad all these purple flowers are blooming because purple is the color for Rett Syndrome Awareness and October is it’s month. I didn’t know what this disease was until my friend Kelly’s daughter Brooklyn was diagnosed. All month long I’ve been wearing my purple gloves and thinking about Brooklyn when I see all these lovely purple blooms in my garden!

What colors dominate your garden right now?

14 Comments to “Predominately Purple for Brooklyn”
  1. tj on October 27, 2011 at 6:47 am

…Good Morning Mr. & Mrs. Chiots!*waving* Don’t you love lil’ surprises like that? When you suddenly realize something and to yourself you say, “wow, look at that.”… :o)

…Right now, just mums and marigolds are blooming here so it’s all golds, yellows and rust. Altho’, our dwarf lilac bush sent out a few blooms; it went dormant during the drought and I actually thought we lost it but then finally rains came and it leafed out and rebloomed a few blooms. Nice lil’ gesture on its part I thought. ;o)

…Gorgeous photos Susy & thanks for sharing!

…Blessings :o)

Reply to tj's comment

2. kristin @ going country on October 27, 2011 at 7:01 am

First frost tonight, so soon, all brown.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..Woodchuck Child

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

3. daisy on October 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

What a lovely tribute to your friend’s daughter.
    I love all the purples you have growing. Thanks for sharing.
    What is the flower in the second picture you have posted. I love the contrast of the bloom and stem.
    daisy´s last post ..Gone Batty!

Reply to daisy's comment

• Susy on October 27, 2011 at 9:14 am

It’s lavender, Lady Lavender from Richter’s Herbs.

4. goatpod2 on October 27, 2011 at 8:27 am

Mostly reds and greens and yellow.

Amy
    goatpod2´s last post ..Photo Theme for Thursday: Orange

Reply to goatpod2's comment

5. Allison on October 27, 2011 at 8:32 am

I have never heard of Rett Syndrome. I will have to read about that.

Right now, we have a lot of purple too – wild purples growing in the open fields next to us.
    Allison´s last post ..101 Uses for Vodka

Reply to Allison's comment

6. Dave on October 27, 2011 at 8:50 am

Purple is a good color in the garden! We have quite a lot of it. The purple beautyberries are stunning right now. Blue salvias are putting out everything they have before they fade.
    Dave´s last post ..We’re Not at Peak Yet, But We’re Close

Reply to Dave's comment

7. Daedre Craig on October 27, 2011 at 10:22 am

My front flower bed was planned out to be purple, blue, and yellow, but then I had the opportunity to get dozens of free plants from work, so the color scheme went out the window.
    Daedre Craig´s last post ..Pet Protocol

Reply to Daedre Craig's comment

8. bonnie on October 27, 2011 at 10:45 am

Nice post. I, too, had never heard of Rett syndrome.

I have a crazy clash of colors in one spot: purple petunias, pink verbena, red-and-yellow blanket flowers, white daisy mums, and light pink roses. I think I need to move a thing or two so they’re not all side by side,lol.

In general I love all the rich warm colors of fall with a touch of pink here and there.

Reply to bonnie's comment

9. MAYBELLINE on October 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

Crimson mums
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..May I See Your ID?

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

10. Jennifer Krieger on October 27, 2011 at 11:50 am

I love purples in the garden. Purple and yellow. Your flowers are lovely.
    Jennifer Krieger´s last post ..Novice, newbie

Reply to Jennifer Krieger's comment

11. iris on October 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Are those some late blooming hydrangeas?
    I saw a bush in a neighbor’s yard the other day, that was completely bare except for some bright purple berries. I’d never seen anything like that!
    iris´s last post ..How To: Fur Leg Warmers

Reply to iris's comment

• Susy on October 28, 2011 at 6:41 am

They’re actually just my Nikko Blue hydrangeas, I leave the blooms on the plants and they turn these lovely shades of purple & green.

12. itchbay on October 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm

So many lovely things still blooming!
    itchbay´s last post ..The Color Purple