Quote of the Day: Robyn Griggs Lawrence

November 6th, 2011

The beauty in November is the assuredness with which it accepts its Novemberness. Pale, low light is kind to dried beige stalks and barren fields. The earth breathes with a sense of quiet, signaling the time is right to go within. After all that manic energy of summertime and harvest, there is relief in the stillness.

Robyn Griggs Lawrence
(The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty)

It’s amazing how quickly things change when November hits. Last Sunday I was out working in the garden and there was still tons of color in the garden. The leaves were all shining in bright shades of yellow and red.

November came on Tuesday and by the end of the week all the leaves were down and everything was brown. One of things I love about November, is how the late evening sun bathes everything in a beautiful golden glow without leaves on the trees to hide it. It’s perfect harmony for this time of year for sure as it brightens up what could be a rather drear time of year.

November is one of those months that I really notice a change, it’s kind of like March. Many months blend into each other and you can’t distinguish between them. November and March are quite unique, making their beginning well known because there is such a distinct change in the colors in nature and the light of the sun. Oddly enough March and November are polar opposites. In March everything is bursting forth and things seem to grow overnight. In November everything breathes of sigh of relief and hunkers down for the many months of rest ahead.

What month do you notice being most distinct from those around it?

7 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Robyn Griggs Lawrence”
  1. tami on November 6, 2011 at 7:56 am

January. Totally devoid of all color. Shades of black, white, brown and gray. 24-7 For some reason the total LACK of color disturbs me deeply. That’s when seeing the first crocus or bluebird becomes a shock to the senses. My eyes are starved for color by the time spring rolls around. BTW…love the quote. Very fitting.
    tami´s last post ..My First Seed Save

Reply to tami's comment

2. goatpod2 on November 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

January or February but it’s still pretty though even with the snow!

Amy
    goatpod2´s last post ..Happy Birthday Jason!

Reply to goatpod2's comment

3. tj on November 6, 2011 at 10:16 am

…I would say that it is the same here as for you. November and March pretty much signal an ending and a beginning, and I think January is the bottom of the barrel and then it slowly starts looking up from there.

…Third photo? Absolutely LOVE. :o)

…Enjoy your day!

…Blessings :o)
    tj´s last post ..I need your opinion please.

Reply to tj's comment

4. Eliza J on November 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I love capturing sunlight in my pictures ~ you did a great job!

Reply to Eliza J's comment

5. itchbay on November 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Here in Sonoma County, CA, the seasons are a bit different from other parts of the country, and they tend to run together a bit more. But February is the “yellow month” to me. That’s when all the yellow flowers come out — acacia trees, mustard in the vineyards, daffodils, etc.
    itchbay´s last post ..The Color Purple

Reply to itchbay's comment

6. Alyssa on November 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm

It’s October for me, the month where colour explodes with a last hurrah. It might be my favourite month as well, after the green or September but before the brown of November. Love it!
    Alyssa´s last post ..October 4

Reply to Alyssa's comment

7. brenda on November 9, 2011 at 3:01 am

This was a great set of photos. They are just beautiful.

brenda from arkansas