Everything Was Damp and Gray

December 1st, 2011

Everything was damp and gray in the moment between fall’s rich color and winter’s severe elegance.

Robin Mather from The Feast Nearby

This week has pretty much summed up this quote, it’s been raining, and raining, and raining some more. Then it turned to damp snow and ice, and then more snow. Lots of wet weather to signal that change between fall and winter.

I still love how interesting everything is in the garden this time of year. And now that I’m feeling better I was inspired to throw on my wellies and get out to get a few photos of the garden before the big snows arrive. Here’s what I saw in my garden on Monday.

I can tell that winter is fighting with fall and it will soon win. The air is starting to get the crispness to it and there’s a noticeable lack of smell when you go outside, except for the faint scent of woodsmoke.

Has winter arrived in your garden yet? What weather predominates for you right now?

17 Comments to “Everything Was Damp and Gray”
  1. alison@thisbloominglife on December 1, 2011 at 5:15 am

Your garden is as wet as mine. Only mine has just hit summer! So it is wet with green rather than wet with brown. And the poor crop farmers all around us have lost their wheat to rain – for the last seven years it has all been lost to drought. What a funny old world it is.

Reply to alison@thisbloominglife's comment

2. B ryan N. on December 1, 2011 at 6:20 am

no real hint of winter yet a couple mornings around 30 but most of November has been in the 50s and close to 60.The weather has really changed in the last few years.This past week has been pretty rainy and last night we dipped into the 20s.Maybe winter is finally winning the battle I’m hoping for some snow as I like to cross country ski and snowshoe.

Reply to B ryan N.'s comment

3. denise on December 1, 2011 at 9:21 am

i checked on my winter garden yesterday – picked some carrots for dinner. this is my first winter garden – i have kale, lettuce and beets growing. although, they are growing quite slowly. i love your first picture.
    denise´s last post ..25 days of Finding Joy :: 3

Reply to denise's comment

4. SixBalloona on December 1, 2011 at 9:50 am

Very crisp and frosty in my neighbourhood… Scraping the windshield seems to be an almost-daily occurrence now!

Reply to SixBalloona's comment

5. goatpod2 on December 1, 2011 at 10:10 am

We had a little bit of snow yesterday but the weather hasn’t been too bad here, we have had the same weather as you since we don’t live too far from you!

Amy
    goatpod2´s last post ..Photo Theme for Thursday: Door

Reply to goatpod2's comment

6. Rick on December 1, 2011 at 11:38 am

Suzy, You take the most incredible photos for your blog!! I wish I had your eye for great photos.

Fall and winter are fighting in our area as well, only winter hasn’t brought out the snow for a while. It just keeps messing around with cold and lots of wind. Aughhhh!!
    Rick´s last post ..Seed Catalogs

Reply to Rick's comment

• Susy on December 1, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Thanks Rick, I’ve been working hard on developing my photography skills over the past few years. Someday I might do a special here on the blog with tips to help everyone with their photo taking skills.

7. MAYBELLINE on December 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Winter weather in the garden means the Santa Ana winds blow warm air off the desert. That’s supposed to happen today. Nights will be dropping down to freezing. Lettuce bed has been protected. Christmas lights will warm the citrus.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Three Quarters White Trash & Wild Turkey

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

8. Jennifer Krieger on December 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Some great pictures! I really love this inbetween, bare, stark grey time, too.
    The internet is so smart. I am getting ads for Ethel gloves on my FB page!
    Jennifer Krieger´s last post ..Raise a pint?

Reply to Jennifer Krieger's comment

9. Lisa on December 1, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Hello, a quick question, I live in central Ohio and have broccoli plants growing in my back yard. They have heads about the size of a lime. I have read broccoli will survive temps of 20 degrees. Do you think they are going to survive? I am new to gardening in the colder months and am searching for some advice.

Thanks,

Lisa

Reply to Lisa's comment

• Susy on December 1, 2011 at 12:56 pm

You can harvest those little button heads, they probably won’t get much bigger now that the weather is cold. Depending on the type of broccoli that you have they might overwinter or they might not make it.

10. KimH on December 1, 2011 at 12:53 pm

We’re still hanging on up here by the lake.. Not quite winter, though we got a bit of snow here at work which is 10 miles inland.. Its gone now though..

11. daisy on December 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Beautiful photos of the seasonal transition.

How blessed you are to have rain. We are enjoying temps in the 60’s today with lots of sunshine. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Sometimes a walk outside is the best medicine!
    daisy´s last post ..Honey Squash

Reply to daisy's comment

12. Jess on December 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm

What beautiful photos, you have a real talent for capturing the atmosphere. It has been just like that here for the last week. Still it has given me some time in the kitchen and create a lovely Christmas chutney that you might like to try. I’d love to know what you think.
    Jess´s last post ..A Novel Christmas Chutney

Reply to Jess's comment

13. Brenda on December 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I find it amazing to read od auch extremes is temperature. our winters are nowhere near as extreme! xxBrenda

Reply to Brenda's comment

14. Jennifer Fisk on December 1, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Yesterday, we were the warmest place in the US. Last Wed., we got 8 inches of heavy snow. Today it was in the 40’s and I got some leaf blowing accomplished which makes things look a lot better.My garden still has beets in it but the wild turkeys took my kale and brussels sprouts. Winter temps of teens to 0 are bound to happen but when? Cutting a Christmas tree without frozen feet and hands just isn’t right.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

• Susy on December 1, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Isn’t it amazing how wildly the weather can swing here in the East?