Harvesting My Homegrown Ginger

December 7th, 2011

Remember when I told you that I planted some ginger and then I showed you how great the plant looked earlier this fall? The plants finally died back so I decided it was time to dump out the pot to see what the rhizomes looked like.

I took the pot out on the porch and turned it over onto a piece of kraft paper. The plants were pretty pot-bound, which means I should have had them in a bigger pot.

The rhizomes were about three or five times larger than they were when I planted them and the big roots were about 8 inches long. I decided instead of keeping some of the ginger for eating, I’d replant each plant in it’s own container; the biggest one getting a much bigger pot. I think if I give them a good dose of fertilizer a few times next year I should have a nice big crop of ginger next fall!

I don’t have any belief that I’ll be growing all my own fresh ginger anytime soon, but it is a fun experiment. I’m certainly interested to see how much better these plants grow in a bigger pot and see what my crop will look in another year.

Any new experiments brewing in your garden inside or out?

9 Comments to “Harvesting My Homegrown Ginger”
  1. Chris on December 7, 2011 at 7:16 am

I want to try this! I have some Hawaiian ginger that a friend gave me that grows well here. I just put it in the garage during the winter, and bring it back out in the spring. I have read that the ginger root isn’t as strong, but it can be used in cooking. I have not tried it. I also have some Wild Ginger, but I don’t know much about it. It is more of a leafy plant instead of tall shoots…..

Peace,
    Chris…….
    Chris´s last post ..I never get tired of this….

Reply to Chris's comment

2. goatpod2 on December 7, 2011 at 10:17 am

We’re trying garlic and we tried kale for the first time this year.

Amy
    goatpod2´s last post ..That’s My Answer! : Musicals

Reply to goatpod2's comment

3. risa on December 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

My current experiment is sprouting seedlings in eggshells. I’ve planted grapes along the deer fence to see about incorporating them into the hedge. Next I want to try stacking inverted bottomless 2-liter bottles on twine in the greenhouse, so as to make a vertical garden.
    risa´s last post ..Extra low cost seed starting kit

Reply to risa's comment

4. MAYBELLINE on December 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

I have an azalea in my kitchen window. It was a hostess gift that has bloomed continuously since Thanksgiving 2010. Everytime I think that I should repot the darling, I ask myself why. I’m going to keep on as is.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Ajax the Garden Gnome

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

5. Ghislaine on December 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

That’s just wonderful! I was under the impression ginger was hard to grow, but it doesn’t seem to be. It’s on my list of things to try for sure. As for experiments that are brewing… just tore out most of the trees in my backyard (palms and ficus -in SoCal) to replant with fruit trees and bushes. A completely bare backyard is a slightly scary sight. I’m feeling pressure.

Reply to Ghislaine's comment

6. Eliza J on December 7, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Wow…another thing I never thought of doing before. I’ll have to give it a try. So nice to have fresh ginger on hand in the kitchen, and to know where it came from!

Reply to Eliza J's comment

7. Daedre Craig on December 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

My current experiment is trying to change my municipal code to legalize dairy goats in my county!
    Daedre Craig´s last post ..Mangy Chicken

Reply to Daedre Craig's comment

• Susy on December 7, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Good one, I keep thinking of trying to get our zoning to allow chickens. But I might get meat rabbits instead.

8. Barbara on December 7, 2011 at 7:45 pm

What a great idea! I just love fresh ginger…
    Barbara´s last post ..day six – reality check