007 Days of Christmas

December 27th, 2011

For quite a few years now Mr Chiots and I have been spending the week between Christmas and New Year’s watching as many James Bond movies as we can fit in. It all started years ago when Spike TV had the 007 days of Christmas and playing James Bond movies 24/7 during this week. We used to watch them on cable, but then we cancelled that. Then we had Netflix and would get them from there and the library, but the library copies never played very well and we cancelled our Netflix. This year we decided we’d start buying a few of the 007 movies on blu-ray each year until we have the entire series.

We especially love the old James Bond movies, there’s just something fun about them. I don’t know if I have a favorite Bond, I like them all for various reasons. I’m certainly looking forward to the new one that’s scheduled to come out in late 2012.

The blu-ray copies are fantastic, they remastered them from the original reels and they did a great job. We’ve only had time to watch two so far, but we have the rest of the week to go and we’re looking forward to seeing the rest.  We’ll actually be taking a few evenings off, popping up some popcorn, and snuggling up on the couch to get our fill of James Bond!

What’s your favorite old movie?

15 Comments to “007 Days of Christmas”
  1. Melissa on December 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

I love James Bond! Nothing beats a good Sean Connery bond movie!
    Melissa´s last post ..I will be back…

Reply to Melissa's comment

2. daisy on December 27, 2011 at 9:36 am

It makes sense to purchase them if you’re going to be watching them over and over. I never cared much for James Bond.

My favorite movie of all time is “To Kill a Mockingbird”, but we enjoy many older movies.
    daisy´s last post ..Tuesday Tidings

Reply to daisy's comment

3. Nebraska Dave on December 27, 2011 at 10:28 am

Suzy, if you are talking about my favorite James Bond movie, it would have to be Dr. No. Of course I was in college at the time that one came out and it was the first James Bond movie I saw and have followed the series ever since. Now, if you are talking about the all time favorite movie, it would be Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum. That was of course way before the Starwars movies came out. Now, I’m pretty much hooked on Sci-Fi end of the world scenario stuff …. which would include James Bond.

It’s good you are resting up because it’s only 84 day, 9 hours, and 35 minutes until Spring. Not that I’m counting or anything like that. :0) With the newly purchased large lot only 15 minutes from my house, I’m in the throes of planning garden expansion. The design will most likely be changed several times before Spring arrives and active gardening begins.

Have a great last week of 2011.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

4. KimH on December 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm

My Favorite old movie is The Sound of Music… I could watch that 500 times and never get sick of it..
    I dont have a series I love to watch.. tv shows, maybe a few.. but movies, no.

• Susy on December 27, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I love the Sound of Music too, we watched it so much growing up we wore out a few VHS copies. Then we’d laugh cause the songs would warble when we played the tapes!

5. Liz J on December 27, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Hmmmm, James Bond, 007 ~ my family still remembers when I was about 5 or 6 and sang the theme song from Goldfinger for a family get together ~ I get reminded of that to this day! Actually my favorite old and often remade movies that I love to watch are “A Christmas Carol”, “Jane Eyre” (George C. Scott is still my favorite of all) and “The Portrait of Dorian Gray”. This “cold” time of year lends itself perfectly to enjoying watching movies ~ with a big bowl of hot popcorn of course!

Reply to Liz J's comment

• Susy on December 27, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Too funny about singing the song at family gatherings!

6. Lisa on December 27, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Definately Goldfinger! Love that one. But my fave of all time would have to be The Unsinkable Molly Brown. I first watched it as a child and it has just stayed with me!
    Lisa´s last post ..A First & Evan Almighty

Reply to Lisa's comment

• Liz J on December 27, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Yes! I remember the Unsinkable Molly Brown!! I will have to see if I can find that on streaming or Netflix ~ good one. She was even on the Titanic!

Reply to Liz J's comment

• Lisa on December 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I know! And she was a real person which maybe why it appeals to me??? I love a good musical!
        Lisa´s last post ..A First & Evan Almighty

to Lisa's comment

• Susy on December 27, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I’ll have to look into this movie see if I can find it, thanks for the suggestion.

7. Victoria on December 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Fun! Tonight’s a movie night for us too, any good popcorn tips? I just started popping the kernels in my dutch ov with butter and salt recently…I love this time of year
    Victoria´s last post ..Holiday Feasting: Duck

Reply to Victoria's comment

8. Sincerely, Emily on December 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Fav movie – South Pacific. Love James Bond though too. My dad took us to the James Bond movies when they came out (also Pink Panther and Star Trek movies!) It was a dad-thing and I have great memories of that. My husband has the James Bond series on VHS – hmmm, No VHS hooked up since we moved 4 years ago. We manage to tape a few from cable and watch them from time to time. So So fun!

I can just picture Liz J at 5 or 6 (above comment) singing the theme from Goldfinger at the family gathering. “goooold finnnger…he’s the man, the man with the midas touch

Oooh I really really like Bleak House too.
    Sincerely, Emily´s last post ..Dark Days Challenge for the South Region: Week 4

Reply to Sincerely, Emily's comment

9. Kath on December 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Laura ~ a great film noir.

Reply to Kath's comment

10. risa on December 28, 2011 at 11:28 am

My all-time favorite movie is “Only Yesterday” by Takahata of Studio Ghibli, but it has not been released here. Disney wanted to remove an important scene and Miyazaki, who produced it, held firm.

Older? “Babette’s Feast.”

Still older? At family gatherings? “Samurai,” parts 1, 2, and 3, and “Seven Samurai.” And anything with Audrey Hepburn. We are very eclectic!
    risa´s last post ..Occupy that