Quote of the Day: Solon Robinson

January 30th, 2012

Everyone who is so happy as to live in the country, and can gather vegetables from his own garden, knows the difference between them when gathered thus and properly cooked, and those which has been picked and kept for the market even one night.

Solon Robinson, Facts for Farmers, 1866
found in This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader

Exactly the reason I’m growing more and more winter hardy vegetables each year! This is my first year with a good harvest of leeks and scallions for the long winter months and I’m certainly enjoying them to the fullest. The scallions are being used in batches of kimchi and the leeks I’m using in all sorts of recipes, most recently leek and potato soup made with ham stock (adapted from this recipe).

What’s your favorite food that’s in season in your area right now?

9 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Solon Robinson”
  1. kristin @ going country on January 30, 2012 at 6:50 am

Oh, how I love the leeks. I do not so much love the winter harvesting of the leeks, what with the snow and frozen mud, but I endure it for the deliciousness of stewed leeks alongside a roast. YUM.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..The Watchers in the Window

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

2. Melissa on January 30, 2012 at 9:26 am

Broccoli! Wasn’t so much a big fan of it until I began to grow it myself, but now I love it! Can’t get enough of it!
    Melissa´s last post ..Hello Again!

Reply to Melissa's comment

3. Daedre Craig on January 30, 2012 at 10:02 am

Haha…there’s nothing in-season here at the moment, unless you count storage vegetables and apples stored in modified atmosphere.
    Daedre Craig´s last post ..Make Your Own Seed Starting Shelf

Reply to Daedre Craig's comment

4. Kelly on January 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

I have the most divine Bean, Bacon & Potato soup that’s heavy on the leeks that we just love (basically chop bacon and cook in a big pot, toss in chopped onions and caramelize, add potatoes and leeks and stock, add canellini beans when it’s all cooked). I love that buttery something that leeks add to soups!
    Kelly´s last post ..HannahMorphous

Reply to Kelly's comment

5. MAYBELLINE on January 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

Beets (pickled), lettuce, carrots, onions, broccoli, peas
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Good Bye Summer. FINALLY!

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

• Susy on January 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm

MMMMM – beets, I sometimes forget how much I like them.

6. Joy Giles on January 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

After a horribly hot summer here in Texas (Austin), our Fall/Winter garden is overflowing with arugula,lettuces, mustard greens, kale, chard, onions, shallots, radishes and sugar snap peas. Such a blessing after the earlier season’s disappointment.

Reply to Joy Giles's comment

7. Marcia on January 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm

My garden sleeps. But I`m still enjoying fresh beets , potatoes and onions from storage.

Reply to Marcia's comment

8. Kathi Cook on January 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Sage is the only thing I have that’s still alive, so I use it alot!

Reply to Kathi Cook's comment