Friday Favorite: Seafood

March 9th, 2012

I love seafood! Sadly, it’s difficult to find good seafood/fish here in NE Ohio. Sure I can find good seafood if I drive to Cleveland, but that’s an hour and half each way. We often end up in locations with local seafood when we travel so I eat up when we do. While we were in Florida that was the case, particularly in Key West. Our first night in Key West the friendly folks at the campground recommended Hogfish Bar & Grill; it was quite good!

Back when I requested suggestions for our trip to Florida, one of you recommended Blue Heaven. We ate dinner there on Tuesday night and enjoyed it as well. Mr Chiots got a fresh Florida lobster tail and we ended our meal with classic Key Lime. Pie.

One of the things I’m super excited about with our plans to move to Maine is the seafood. I can’t wait to buy fresh local seafood at the local farmer’s market. We’ve already looked into clamming regulations and would love to learn how to do it. I don’t have a particular kind of seafood that’s my favorite, I pretty much love any kind of fish & seafood, especially those that taste of the sea. Freshwater fish is welcome on my plate anytime too!

Is fish/seafood welcome on your plate or would you rather stick to something else?

19 Comments to “Friday Favorite: Seafood”
  1. Kathi Cook on March 9, 2012 at 6:40 am

I love seafood too,but only if it’s fresh (not previously frozen like at the supermarkets), and local and or sustainable. I live inland in Ct so that’s a talll order around here too. When we go to Maine,I eat fish every day…especially Maine lobster which I never tire of.! Luckily fresh lobster is readily available in Ct and not too expensive.I make my own lobster rolls at least oonce a week during the summer. Their fresh haddock is also abundant and delicious. Boy, you will be in heaven in Maine! When I was a child vacationing there,I remember all the locals clamming on the beach.

Reply to Kathi Cook's comment

• Susy on March 9, 2012 at 8:12 am

I completely agree with you – the frozen stuff is YUCK! When I was growing up we went fishing on Lake Erie often and ate lots of walleye & perch in the summer months.

2. canned Quilter on March 9, 2012 at 6:58 am

Living in Missouri one of the things I miss most about my home state of Louisiana is the fresh seafood as well.
    canned Quilter´s last post ..Ya Gotta Have A Sense Of Humor To Homestead

Reply to canned Quilter's comment

3. Joan on March 9, 2012 at 7:24 am

Scallops are my favorite, but any white fish like haddock, cod or sole is delicious too.

I love salmon but our local Atlantic Salmon is endangered so all we can get is the factory farmed stuff – full of pink dyes to add color, and antibiotics to keep the salmon alive in unhealthy conditions and to help them grow faster. Ugh! So salmon is no longer an option unless I eat it shipped in from Alaska, and since I eat locally as much as possible, I guess I’ll probably never eat salmon again. Maybe someday I’ll get to travel to the northwest or Alaska, and then I’ll gorge myself on it! In the meantime, I’m lucky that we have so many other delicious choices here in Maine!

Reply to Joan's comment

4. Rhonda on March 9, 2012 at 8:10 am

LOVE seafood. Crab is my favorite and good clam chowder is not too far behind. The best trip I ever took was up the east cost. We spent a lot of time in Boothbay Harbor and had GREAT lobster. I really want to go back!

Reply to Rhonda's comment

5. Peggy on March 9, 2012 at 8:27 am

I LOVE fresh seafood and have been spoiled much of life as we lived in places such as California, Louisiana, Florida, Germany, North Carolina, and Alaska. We ate lots of salmon in Alaska until I developed an allergy to it… and I adore halibut especially when we caught it ourselves (however it had to be frozen as there is entirely too much fish to be eaten at one time unless you are feeding a HUGE group!) Never been to Maine but a good friend is from there and she raves about the seafood! :)

Reply to Peggy's comment

6. Songbirdtiff on March 9, 2012 at 8:36 am

I am not a seafood lover, I blame that on being in a landlocked state all my life. I am working on finding things that I like and, even though I like shrimp, I have to get beyond the texture.
    Songbirdtiff´s last post ..Cuddles

Reply to Songbirdtiff's comment

7. Jennifer Fisk on March 9, 2012 at 8:57 am

I do like seafood as long as it is fresh and reasonably local.
    Shrimp season closed early but the girl up the road has it frozen for $7/lb. Scallops are in season but scarce at $14.50/lb. Very little lobstering is being done so any Homerus Americanus has to be Canadian. While frozen is never as good as fresh, Cozy Harbor brand shrimp and lobster are worth the price in a pinch. The shrimp make great rolls out of season. Pretty soon local clams will once again be available. They have a special flavor.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

8. gabe on March 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Love it. If we’re traveling near an ocean, we’re eating seafood every day. I don’t have any particular favorites – it’s all good!

I’ll be jealous if you end up in Maine – that was one of our favorite places to visit!
    gabe´s last post ..Easy DIY crackers

Reply to gabe's comment

9. Kara on March 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love seafood too and I regret not eating more of it when we lived in Portland. Some of my favorites: Harbor Fish, Three Sons Lobster, Harraseeket Lobster, Gilbert’s Chowder House, and Glidden Point oysters.

Reply to Kara's comment

10. MAYBELLINE on March 9, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Not a fan of fish. However, if it’s fried (like anything else) I can handle it with catsup.
    MAYBELLINE´s last post ..Grow Your Own

Reply to MAYBELLINE's comment

11. Pearl on March 9, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Love seafood but like you, here in Ohio there’s not much available fresh. But whenever we go to Florida or Maine we eat a lot of it. Got addicted to Lobster Rolls when we were in Maine!!
    Pearl´s last post ..Crazy for Cardinals

Reply to Pearl's comment

12. Misti on March 9, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Hogfish is a great place! Locals also told us about it,too. My dad continues to reminisce about the place when we talk about his yearly Keys trips he had when we lived there.

:) Loving your Florida posts.
    Misti´s last post ..Redbud Blossoms | Wordless Wednesday

Reply to Misti's comment

13. Carrie on March 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I Looooooove fish! If it swims, I eat it! I live in North Dakota and the only “fresh” seafood is fish we catch ourselves during the summer. We have one package left of walleye in the freezer that I have been hording.

I showed my husband pictures of your tiny trailer and now he wants to build one too! Did you ever do a post about how you guys went about building yours, or can I just not find it? I’ve kind of been browsing around the prefab ones, but I think I would prefer to build it ourselves to customize it just how we would like.

I love all the flower bulbs you planted, too bad you won’t get to enjoy them more. I wish we could move to Maine, the land is SO cheap out there! I live in North Dakota, on the outskirts of the oil boom so any property out here is hugely inflated.

Reply to Carrie's comment

14. Vonnie on March 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Glad to hear you got your “shot” of fresh fish. Living on a tropical island we do OK and it’s lobster season for another month yet (ends April)…and what better way to finish than Key Lime Pie – yummy : )
    Vonnie´s last post ..PUPPY PROGRESS

Reply to Vonnie's comment

15. judym on March 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Richard & I love good seafood. We really miss the fresh fish he & his dad would catch every summer on Lake Erie. One of the last vacations we took with hubby’s parents was to New England – stayed in Maine for a while and had fresh lobster at $4 a piece. Nothing like it.

Reply to judym's comment

• Susy on March 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm

That was the best walleye wasn’t it? We LOVED the weeks we’d spent up at the campground up there eating fresh fish every night for supper.

16. KimH on March 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I was raised close to the Gulf of Mexico so I grew up eating all manner of creatures from it. There isnt anything edible out of the water that I dont love. Actually, if I had to choose only one type of food to eat, I think I’d probably choose seafood. Even stingray wings are good eating.

I do miss some of the really awesome fresh out of the Gulf food, but I live a block away from Lake Erie, so the mentioned Walleye & Lake Erie Yellow Perch are usually close by..

17. Marcia on March 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Three ingredients and a fishing pole; flour, lemons and butter. Catch Walleye, filet, dredge in flour, fry in melted butter, squeeze lemon over top. Enjoy life by the lake.

Reply to Marcia's comment