Quote of the Day: Cicero

March 25th, 2012

I look upon the pleasure we take in a garden as one of the most innocent delights in human life.
- Cicero

I’m delighting at the beginning stages of my tulip parade. Last fall when I was planting all these bulbs I was debating on planting them all in blocks of each specific variety, but then I decided to throw them all into a box and plant them all jumbled up. I’m certainly glad I did and it will extend the color that I see from my kitchen window.

I’ve been wanting to do something with this hillside for so long and I’m finally glad I did. If we do end up selling & moving, at least I will have the memory of this hillside this spring. Now to figure out what to plant on it when the tulips fade. Any suggestions?

Is there anything in your garden that you put off for a long time only to wish you had done it much sooner?

16 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Cicero”
  1. daisy on March 25, 2012 at 6:50 am

What a sight! Can’t wait to see more! Tulips and daffs are some of my favorites! Enjoy the scenery!
    daisy´s last post ..Veggie Garden Update

Reply to daisy's comment

2. Sonya on March 25, 2012 at 7:45 am

Seeing the photos of your tulips this morning made my heart sing! I love tulips! They won’t grow here. :( Thank you for sharing your beautiful view with all of us! I’m happy for you!

Reply to Sonya's comment

• Susy on March 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

There will be more, these are just the first few in what I hope to be almost a month of blooms!

3. Allison on March 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

Gorgeous! I hope I have enough spare cash hanging around in the fall to order some of these. Did you post what varieties you ordered? I love the colors!

It’s so interesting to see the differences in climate. You’re about a week and a half ahead of me…
    Allison´s last post ..New Chicks

Reply to Allison's comment

• Susy on March 25, 2012 at 9:45 am

I can not recommend Van Engelen more highly for price and quality of bulbs. The wonderful thing is that they sell large quantities for the same price most places only give you a few bulbs. A lot of bang for your buck! I’m going to try to do a post that includes each variety of tulip & bulb I ordered last fall.

• Allison on March 25, 2012 at 9:58 am

Wow! A hundred bulbs for 25 dollars! Thanks for the recommendation for the fall. The gardens will be covered in the spring:)
        Allison´s last post ..New Chicks

to Allison's comment

• Susy on March 25, 2012 at 12:22 pm

They’re a great source for sure – you get so much more for your money!!! Can’t wait to see which ones you choose. I have found that the deer around here avoid the purple & black tulips (just in case you have deer issues).

to Susy's comment

4. Allison on March 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

Gorgeous!! Tulips are my absolute favorite!!
    Allison´s last post ..Weekly Meal Plan [plan for leftovers!]

Reply to Allison's comment

5. Rick on March 25, 2012 at 10:37 am

We have been putting off planting fruit trees. We have wanted them for years but have never been sure how long we were going to be living at our current place. We have been here long enough now that if we had just planted when we moved in we’d be eating fresh peaches and apples!!
    Rick´s last post ..Grandpa’s Geranium

Reply to Rick's comment

• Susy on March 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

That’s the way it goes doesn’t it. That’s one thing I’ve always vowed to never do. That saying “Garden like you’re never leaving” is very wise – because you really never do know how long you’re going to be somewhere and you never know who might live there when you’re gone. Also if you find just the right buyer, they might see those things as a value in your home and purchase your place over another!

6. WendyM on March 25, 2012 at 10:49 am

Beautiful. Do you like Zinnias? Same display in the hill side will be as delightful as tulips.

Reply to WendyM's comment

• Susy on March 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

That’s a great idea, I’ll have to look for some seeds.

7. KimH on March 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

There are lots of things I’d like to do here but cant for one reason or another.. In truth, the thing I’ve wished the most is to move to a place that was more suited to my nature.. but its not going to happen any time soon.. I can still dream though. ;)

I would like to plant some fruit trees in the front yard… but I havent figured out exactly how to do that. I may yet though. ;)

8. Mich on March 25, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Looks absolutely fab :)

Reply to Mich's comment

9. Dorothy on March 25, 2012 at 2:12 pm

A picture in the Seattle Times today reminded me of your travel trailer. See photo #6 for fun inspiration.

Also some lovely tulip photos.

Reply to Dorothy's comment

10. judym on March 25, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I know your excitment over your tulips. We planted a lot of tulips for one flower bed a year ago last fall. The anticipation was almost unbearable but it was so worth waiting for. Got some great photos as they bloomed all month. I want to get so many more for all the other beds. Our daffodils we planted and transplanted are really beautiful this year. We’re going to be expanding transplant locations around the property. Eventually, all the beds will be covered in daffys and tulips. Btw, we are planting zinnias and marigolds all around the place as well. We saved the seeds from last year. Great photos!

Reply to judym's comment