Quote of the Day: Buckner Hollingsworth

April 8th, 2012

“I think I yet see what I have so often beheld both in town and in country,” Mrs Grant continued, “a respectable mistress of a family going out to her garden, in an April morning, with her great calash, her little painted basket of seeds, and her rake over her shoulder, to her garden labors.”

Buckner Hollingsworth
found in Her Garden Was Her Delight. Famous Women Gardeners.

If you’ve never read the book above you should, such a fascinating book about women gardeners throughout American history.

I’m getting a little backed up sharing images since we’re focusing on cleaning. Here’s the update, scenes from around the gardens of Chiot’s Run this past week, harvest, blooms, and life. (if you are my personal friend or if you follow Chiot’s Run on Facebook you might have seen a few of these).

Remember those tulips that I forgot about in the garage? They are just starting to come into their own and they’re stunning, obviously no harm done by the accidental blanching. They are parrot tulips ‘Rai’, ‘Green Wave’, and ‘Parrot King’.

The tulip hillside is in full bloom, photos of that in the coming weeks complete with photos of each individual tulip variety in case you want to know which ones to order.

Do I really need to say anything about these photos? These show exactly why I garden; it’s peaceful, it’s beautiful, it feeds my soul and it brings me much joy during these busy, busy weeks!

What’s been bringing you joy in these last few weeks?

7 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Buckner Hollingsworth”
  1. Jennifer Fisk on April 8, 2012 at 6:38 am

I was so excited to see my Garlic and Rhubarb have poked up through the straw mulch. That reassures me that spring is going to happen. I also found that my spinach and kale made it through the winter in my low hoop house so next fall I’ll do it on a larger scale.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

2. Throwback Road on April 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

The pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Happy Easter to you and Mr. Chiots :)

Reply to Throwback Road's comment

3. Misti on April 8, 2012 at 10:40 am

That last photo is truly magical! Always love your photos!
    Misti´s last post ..Here, There, Not Really Anywhere

Reply to Misti's comment

• Susy on April 8, 2012 at 10:50 am

There are few more in that series over on Flickr.

4. Turling on April 8, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Very nice. I’ll get there someday.

Reply to Turling's comment

5. Melissa on April 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Such beautiful pictures! So excited- we got our first duck egg today!!! Here’s to hoping they lay some more!

Reply to Melissa's comment

6. Sincerely, Emily on April 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Joy – well, the tadpoles in the water gardens. The first water lily bloom of the season. The veg seeds that have sprouted. it is such a magical time right now.

Your garage tulips are looking beautiful! And love you photo of the spider web. I have a shot of one in my sage, they are so stunning in the morning dew or light rain!
    Sincerely, Emily´s last post ..DDC week 19 recap over at NDIN today