Quote of the Day: Dalai Lama

April 29th, 2012

“Cleansing your environment is a ritual means of also cleansing your mind”

Dalai Lama
(found in The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty)

I feel this way about weeding, for me, there’s nothing as clearing to the mind as spending some time in the garden putting weeds.

What task do you find helps cleanse your mind the best?

6 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Dalai Lama”
  1. risa on April 29, 2012 at 7:15 am

Put everything away and sweep. Now I can write.
    risa´s last post ..Bookish

Reply to risa's comment

2. Ghislaine on April 29, 2012 at 11:30 am

I agree about weeding. Pretty much any manual labor that doesn’t require much thinking fits the bill, but weeding has the benefit of being in the garden, where I am happiest.

Reply to Ghislaine's comment

3. KimH on April 29, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I agree with all of you.. gardening & weeding is so very healing for me.. Clears my mind & senses of everything but whats at hand.. Meditation does that for me as well..

As much as I dont really enjoy cleaning house, I enjoy one very much.. it can be good medicine as well but I prefer silence to go about it.. It makes it a much happier event..

I just plain ol love silence.. :)

4. Chicago Mike on April 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I think its the act of gardening in its entirety. The elimination of the lawn. The placement of a planting space, the prep of the soil, composting, the planting, weeding, watering, all of it. Taking a piece of soil abused by overuse of damaging chemicals, and converting it to a natural and productive balance (in favor of yummy things), that is, for me, cleansing. Not to mention coming home (not all of us have the entrepreneurial spirit and skills to work from home like Susy!) and cleansing the mind of the days burdens. In addition, the cleansing of body and spirit that the fruits of harvest bring.

A couple of weeks of the year I get to eat almost entirely from my garden, and those are my favorite weeks of the entire year. You can have Christmas, Labor Day, and Easter, give me late August/Early September.

Reply to Chicago Mike's comment

5. Maybelline on April 29, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Any physical activity in the garden works. It may not necessarily clear my mind, rather, focus my mind.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Pea Picker No More

Reply to Maybelline's comment

6. Texan on April 30, 2012 at 6:54 am

How fun to try so many different potatoes. As far as the garden goes I think planting is the most relaxing to me. But as far as what clears my mind the best, running!
    Texan´s last post ..Flowers for Leontien