So We Bought This House….In Liberty, Maine

June 28th, 2012

If you’ve been reading here for a while you know Mr Chiots and I have been searching for a home in Maine. We put an offer on a house with 20 acres back in February but things didn’t work out. At the beginning of May, a blog reader (now a friend) who works at a land trust sent me the link to a nice property that was going to be coming on the market. Mr Chiots and I drove up to see if it might be the future Chiot’s Run. We spent the entire day there, looking at the house, the gardens, walking the miles and miles of trails that wind through the 147 acres of woods and wetlands. (correction, after closing we found out it’s 152 acres – BONUS)

There’s a house, a garage/workshop, a sauna, a couple nice edible gardening areas, the headwaters to a river, a huge wetland area and lots and lots of trees.

We had lunch and dinner with the current owners and got in our car that evening with a gentleman’s agreement to purchase the property. It’s been a long road trying to get all the paperwork finished up, but finally, this past Tuesday, as in the day before yesterday, we signed the papers, handed over a HUGE check and it’s ours. We’re not moving until late September, we have work scheduled in Ohio and they are building a house and won’t be able to move out until then. It ended up working out perfectly for all parties involved. More details about the gardens & property in the coming weeks.

How big is your garden in acres?

71 Comments to “So We Bought This House….In Liberty, Maine”
  1. kaela on July 1, 2012 at 8:08 am

Congratulations! Change is always good, in my opinion. And it’s a lovely neck of the woods: my husband’s family live over on the coast, outside of Ellsworth, so we are up there frequently. Gorgeous land, lovely people. You’ll fit right in. :)
    kaela´s last post ..Heatwave Preserving: Crock-Pot Cherry Butter

Reply to kaela's comment

2. Teresa on July 2, 2012 at 9:09 am

What an amazing place! Maine is so wonderful to visit that I’ve often daydreamed about moving there. More than a bit envious of your adventure.
    Teresa´s last post ..Sizzling Summer Reads! Play Along and Win Hot Prizes!

Reply to Teresa's comment

3. teresa on July 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Congratulations! It looks like you have found a beautiful place. You are going to have many adventures there for sure. I can’t wait to read more about your new home this winter. Enjoy, and blessings for an easy transition into your new home.
    teresa´s last post ..Lavender Lemon Aid, Yum!

Reply to teresa's comment

4. Sue on July 6, 2012 at 11:48 am

Welcome to Maine! I remember looking at that property on the Farm Trust website. I currently live on about 1/10th of an acre. I have managed to squeeze fruit trees, berry bushes and quite a bit of food on it. I will be looking for some acreage Down East in a couple of years. Probably between 1-10, as this will be my retirement home and I wouldn’t be able to care for more. I would love to be able to buy one of the farms that are available there for less than $200k. Anybody looking, just look in Washington County, Maine.

Reply to Sue's comment

5. mandie on July 8, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Congrats, it looks like a dream!

Reply to mandie's comment

6. Sincerely, Emily on July 10, 2012 at 8:50 am

F A N T A S T I C !!
    Congratulations! and chickens too! Yippee!
    Sincerely, Emily´s last post ..SSFC: Sausage and Sauerkraut – #6

Reply to Sincerely, Emily's comment

7. Waltt Son on December 12, 2013 at 3:37 am

Wow, really very nice and beautiful place to living. It’s good to buying and shifting the home in pleasant and hill station areas, really your home is awesome and i like it very much.
    Waltt Son´s last post ..Tampa Movers – Extract the Best Value for Your Money