Windowbox Sweet Peas

June 30th, 2012

This spring I ordered a packet of Windowbox Heirloom Cupid Sweet Peas from Renee’s Garden. I’ve never had much luck getting sweet peas to bloom here in the garden, so I decided windowbox sweet peas in a container would be my best option.

I planted the little seeds way back in March and waited, and waited, and waited. Just about the time I was wondering if they’d ever bloom, I spotted little buds.

They’re quite lovely, well worth the wait. I’m happy to finally have some sweet peas blooming in the garden. Next year I’ll have to grow some of my grandma’s heirloom sweet peas in a container with a trellis. I might also try some of the other colors of sweet peas that Renee’s carries!

Do you grow sweet peas in the garden? What’s your favorite color?

8 Comments to “Windowbox Sweet Peas”
  1. Sue from Ky. on June 30, 2012 at 9:32 am

Dad planted sweet peas when he moved back to Ky. in about 1999.He passed away in 2001, but we still have the sweet peas to remember him by. He and I dug and dug trying to get me a start.The older root was huge and unbelievable, but I got my start, out of his yard, and now I have a huge stand of sweet peas. It is a worrysome plant for Mom. She tries to kill it in her beds, but I put mine in a place that doesn’t require neatness, and let it roam.
    Sue from Ky.´s last post ..The Return of the Horse Drawn Carriage

Reply to Sue from Ky.'s comment

2. risa on June 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

There are quite a lot of wild ones hereabouts. I gathered seeds and planted them out by the mailbox, end of driveway area. and not one came up. Then the neighbor said, “Oh, those. They come up the third year.” And they did! They’ve dominated that area ever since.

Reply to risa's comment

3. KimH on June 30, 2012 at 11:31 am

No, but they’re very lovely! I may have to consider them for another year.

4. Lexa on June 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm

We planted Renee’s non-climbing sweetpeas for the first time this year too. They were planted in March but are still behind your and haven’t bloomed yet. I love that galvinized steel planter you have your s planted in. It looks terrific!
    Lexa´s last post ..Spring to Summer

Reply to Lexa's comment

5. Maybelline on June 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Plant sweet peas in the fall here to enjoy in the winter & spring.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Wisteria Pruning

Reply to Maybelline's comment

6. itchbay on July 1, 2012 at 1:42 am

Oh, how pretty! I’ve decided I want a window box under my kitchen window, and these look like they would make a great flower for that spot.
    itchbay´s last post ..Thankful Thursday

Reply to itchbay's comment

7. Rhonda on July 1, 2012 at 8:50 am

We has them growing on our fence when I was little. I don’t know who planted them or when, I just know they were there the whole time I was. I don’t know what kind they were either. The plooms were kind of a dark pink and a dark purple. I’m not much help, huh? They were pretty, I know that.

Reply to Rhonda's comment

8. Beth K on July 2, 2012 at 11:52 am

I love sweet peas! I haven’t had much luck with them blooming well in my garden either, but I keep trying. There were always sweet peas down the lane at my grandparents’ farm, so sweetpeas remind me of the farm. Maybe I’ll have to see if they are still there and steal a start from them (and gather some seeds too) since I’m friends with the people who own the farm now. :-)

Reply to Beth K's comment