Friday Favorite: These Cats

September 14th, 2012

I’m not much of a collector. You won’t find my house overflowing with collectibles, figurines, or much else for that matter. I even try to keep my book collection to a minimum. There are however a few things around that I love, like these wooden cats.

They were purchased here and there a long time ago. In fact, I can’t remember a time when they weren’t sitting on top of my dresser. One of them I even repainted to look like our old cat Jeffrey. There hasn’t been a new one in many, many years and I don’t actively seek out more.

I don’t quite know what it is I love about these little wooden cats, they’re kind of quirky and cute. No doubt, they’ll remain on my dresser for years to come! Does it count as a “collection” if you only have four?

Do you have any collections?

11 Comments to “Friday Favorite: These Cats”
  1. daisy on September 14, 2012 at 5:41 am

Those kitties are adorable! I think four definitely counts!

We are a lot alike. I don’t like a lot of clutter around, and if something isn’t practical or used, it doesn’t have much of a place in our home. I do love old jars, but they mostly get used. The only real collection I have that is not useful is my collection of otters.
    daisy´s last post ..One Simple Thing-Repair Cafe

Reply to daisy's comment

2. jennifer fisk on September 14, 2012 at 6:36 am

I have a collection of German Shepherd figurines and plates.
    Do you know where you’ll be one week from today? I’ll be at the Common Ground Country Fair. Will you?

Reply to jennifer fisk's comment

• Susy on September 14, 2012 at 7:11 am

Yes, I’ll be there too!

3. Tiffany Selvey on September 14, 2012 at 7:36 am

Very cute! My mom has a collection of real cats bigger than your wooden cats. :) I have a small collection of birds and each of them hold a memory for me.
    Tiffany Selvey´s last post ..What to Plant this Month- September

Reply to Tiffany Selvey's comment

4. Adelina Anderson on September 14, 2012 at 7:47 am

I never use to collect anything. But one day I got the collecting bug. I have a thing for pretty vintage egg cups , however they only come out during the spring. I also use to collect vintage floral frogs. Love the glass ones and the wire ones. My latest obsession is vintage rolling pins – I havent yet bought any, but I would love to get them and display them in the kitchen.

Reply to Adelina Anderson's comment

5. angie h on September 14, 2012 at 8:59 am

I think 4 counts :)

I will always collect books. I have collected lots of rocks from all of my field trips and vacations. However, unless it is really special, I usually leave the rocks on the outcrop these days!

As a kid I collected porcelain dolls, but I keep those boxed up. As a teen I collected dolphins and I have a large collection of Christmas decorations. The problem with liking something is as soon as people find out, you start getting them left and right and pretty soon you have a collection! I’m 32 and I still have to tell people to not get me dolls or dolphins and that I have more than enough decorations!

Reply to angie h's comment

6. Andrea Duke on September 14, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love jars, but use them often.

The only collection I have that comes to mind are my Wade of England figurines from the Red Rose Tea Co. My Great-Grandmother collected them for me. She had them in a box with a note for me that I rec’d when she passed away. I have them in a guest bedroom placed in an old Hamilton desk drawer used as a shadow box that my aunt gave me. I have 50-60 of them now and love them.

Reply to Andrea Duke's comment

7. Missy on September 14, 2012 at 11:36 am

When I was little I collected music boxes, but they are all still at mom’s house and not really something I would display. As an adult, my closest thing to a collection are Frank Lloyd Wright items (stained glass, framed pieces) and they are all displayed in our house. I think what truly makes a collection is having a place of honor in your home. So I’d say the cats definitely qualify.

Reply to Missy's comment

8. Maybelline on September 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

No collections. Think of me a your Shaker commentor. Less is best.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Garden Update

Reply to Maybelline's comment

9. Sierra N Hampl on September 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I have always collected books. Unfortunately, I have something against “used” books, so they must always be new. I always read them and for some reason I just love being able to see all of the books I’ve read. I should probably part with a few boxes of them. :)
    Sierra N Hampl´s last post ..Photo dump

Reply to Sierra N Hampl's comment

10. Sincerely, Emily on September 14, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Cute. They have such character to them. a collection of 4 your have. Just don’t tell anyone or these cut little wooden cats will start showing up on your doorstep !
    Sincerely, Emily´s last post ..Aaahhh, Rain!

Reply to Sincerely, Emily's comment