Footprints of Life

February 14th, 2013

A couple weeks ago we had a bit of a warmup. As a result, the driveway melted a bit and every thing that crossed the driveway left it’s mark.
footprints of life
When I went out to check on the chickens the next morning, the driveway was once again frozen solid and the traffic patterns of the previous day were preserved.
footprints of life (1)
It was wonderful to see all the different prints left behind by: human, vehicle, dog, duck, chicken and cat. There is certainly a lot of life here at Chiot’s Run!

What’s your favorite animal track to spot?

6 Comments to “Footprints of Life”
  1. Adelina Anderson on February 14, 2013 at 8:49 am

Couple of weeks ago we had some pretty big dog/cat tracks in the snow. Turns out a bobcat has been hanging out between my house and a neighbors. Love looking around for its prints – just don’t like meeting him face to face like I did last week.
    Adelina Anderson´s last post ..Cufflinks by GlassbyAdelina

Reply to Adelina Anderson's comment

2. amy on February 14, 2013 at 10:28 am

I set up bird feeders during the winter and I also put birdseed right outside my windows on the barn timber ledges….my husband made….to hold my flower pots in the summer……After a snow it is always delightful for me…..to admire them and to see the multitude of tiny bird feet.

Reply to amy's comment

3. KimH on February 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I dont have any favorites here in Ohio.. What I dont love is seeing deer tracks in my garden. ;)

In Texas, I loved seeing big cats tracks on our ranch or on our country roads.

We had black panthers and bobcats that prowled the woods in our area.. There are reports of Mountain Lions as well but I’ve never seen any.

4. Lisa on February 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm

It’s the prints I don’t find that are my favorite! I don’t want to find any of my three dog’s prints. If I do it means they have been where they don’t belong!

We don’t have wildlife where we are now. The most exciting prints are the neighbor cat’s on our car. We used to live higher in the mountains and a mountain lion (cougar/puma) would go down our long driveway to the lake for a drink. HUGE prints!

Reply to Lisa's comment

5. judym on February 15, 2013 at 12:41 am

This winter, we’ve had a small herd of deer walk through the property. We have deer around here usually, but these have been travelling in the back yard down to the west creek. I love taking the dog for a walk looking for where they’ve wandered and grazed. Also the rabbits have been busy hopping through the side yard flower beds. So much fun!

Reply to judym's comment

6. misti on February 15, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Bear and panther prints for sure! Lately though the ferals have been leaving their prints in the new dirt for our flower bed. Tiny prints of cuteness!
    misti´s last post ..Chinese Mosaic Long Bean | Fruit & Vegetable Portraits