Cultivate Simple: Lost in the Jungle

February 18th, 2013

We will return to our regularly scheduled podcast next Sunday, as much as we wanted to record one this past week, it wasn’t feasible since we were traveling. You’ll hear all about it next Monday as we will be filling you in the details on episode 19.

Sorry for any hiccups that have occurred on the blog over the past 10 days, Mr Chiots and I have been in South America. We traveled down on the 8th, after a flight cancellation we ended up on the red eye to Bogota arriving at 6:30 am on Saturday morning. As you can imagine, it was not pleasant.
Colombia Trip 1
My dad picked us up at the airport and we were off down through the mountains onto the prairie below. It’s a beautiful drive, more about it later. We met the rest of our group, 7 others, at a camp for a week of work. Mr Chiots I were on hand for filming and photographing.
dale driving
From our cabin, we could see some jungle, we enjoyed watching the howler monkeys one morning and lots of wild parrots and toucans. The temperatures were in the 90′s during the day and the 80′s at night. Thankfully, it wasn’t humid.
Colombia Trip 6
Today, we’re actually on a flight back to the US, at least hopefully we are. This post was quickly scheduled on Saturday night when we were in the capital city in between events. You’ll be hearing more about our trip in the coming weeks, I’ll even share the links to the videos we made.

Have you traveled anywhere tropical in your life? Where & when did you go?

11 Comments to “Cultivate Simple: Lost in the Jungle”
  1. Mary Schier on February 18, 2013 at 9:20 am

I was in Colombia for several weeks in 1992! Great food, beautiful people. I hope you had a productive, not-too-exhausting trip.
    Mary Schier´s last post ..How to Winter Sow Wildflowers

Reply to Mary Schier's comment

2. angie h on February 18, 2013 at 9:30 am

So excited to hear about this!! Have a safe trip back!

Reply to angie h's comment

3. Heidi on February 18, 2013 at 9:32 am

The summer between high school and college I left Minnesota for the first time to volunteer with Amigos de las Americas in Ecuador. I wasn’t on the coast where it is more tropical; I was up in the Andes building latrines. This was the trip that infected me with the life long disease of wanderlust.
    Heidi´s last post ..Seeds.

Reply to Heidi's comment

4. Songbirdtiff on February 18, 2013 at 9:50 am

My husband has done missions work in Mexico and central a few times. I stay at home and keep everything running since I don’t fly.

Reply to Songbirdtiff's comment

5. DebbieB on February 18, 2013 at 10:03 am

I missed the podcast this morning! Eager to hear about your trip and the good work you accomplished.
    DebbieB´s last post ..Extreme Plying

Reply to DebbieB's comment

6. whit on February 18, 2013 at 10:07 am

Welcome home! Can’t wait to see some pictures and hear more about your trip. Hope you enjoyed your visit with your dad!

About a month after high school graduation, i headed to Brasil to visit one of our exchange students and her family. They lived in a little town off of the Atlantic, 4 hours from Rio. They brought me their and to Oro Prieto. The history there is amazing! The poverty however and the disproportionate level of wealth was very unsettling…so eye opening for a teenager to experience. This was sometime back in 1993.
    whit´s last post ..The Things I’ll Miss

Reply to whit's comment

7. misti on February 18, 2013 at 10:11 am

I’ve been to several central and south American countries, the latest one being Bolivia in 2008. After an issue with passports we ended up leaving two days later than planned on a late red eye and arriving at 13,000 feet in La Paz after having left sea level in Miami. Woo, was that nauseating!

Bolivia is such a diverse country, I would love to go back. I’ve also been to Panama (through the canal), Costa Rica, Chile, the Galapagos and then a couple of Caribbean islands.

One of my best friends is Colombian and became a naturalized American citizen a few years ago. She’s going back to Colombia in March for a visit with family…I *think* she’s from Bucaramanga.

Looking forward to your posts about your trip!
    misti´s last post ..Chinese Mosaic Long Bean | Fruit & Vegetable Portraits

Reply to misti's comment

8. KimH on February 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I was born & raised in the sub-tropics of Texas and we traveled down into the interior and coast of Mexico quite a bit. I’ve not been further south than that though.. I would love to.

9. kristin @ going country on February 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I lived in Hawaii for three years as a kid, but that’s it. I’m not a fan of the tropics. I’ll take cold and dry over hot and damp any day.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..Blood for Syrup

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

10. judym on February 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm

We went toThailand this past June. Wanted to go for years to visit friends who are missionaries there. Had a blast experiencing the culture, – night markets, gardens, personal tours with our friends. The people are very gracious and friendly. So want to go back to visit our Thai firends again! Did I mention the mountains are beautiful?

Reply to judym's comment