Seeing Green

March 6th, 2013

Even though the snow still blankets the garden outside, I’m starting to see a little green in the house. Over the past week, I’ve been starting onions, celery, lettuce and herbs. I’m already seeing the fruits of my labor, I’m noticing more and more green every time I check on the seeds.
seeing green 2
One think you will notice is that the fresher the seed the quicker it germinates. That’s one reason to use up your seed and pay attention to the self life of the seeds you have. Here’a a handy chart if you need one.
seeing green 3
Along with the onion seeds in flats, I started lettuce in some large planters. It’s germinating nicely and should be producing a few salads for our plats in a few weeks.
seeing green 1
The cats are also enjoying some greens, every week I plant them a new container of wheat grass. Soon enough, the chickens and ducks will be enjoying the same thing. I’m in the process of starting large flats of wheat for them.

Do you have any green sprouts in your house yet?

12 Comments to “Seeing Green”
  1. Robin on March 6, 2013 at 7:40 am

Opalka tomatoes and Little Jada cabbage popped up during the night. The tomatoes were a surprise but the cabbage are right on time. I’m expecting more during the day today. Isn’t it fun!
    Robin´s last post ..Beautiful Snowy Morning

Reply to Robin's comment

2. kristin @ going country on March 6, 2013 at 9:12 am

LEEEEKS!!! Yay. Love leeks. Not that I had anything to do with planting them, but I’m enjoying them nonetheless Also, inspired by “The Victorian Kitchen Garden,” my husband made a hotbed in the garden with sheep and chicken manure and straw, so we can start lettuce outside, like, now. When the seeds get planted, anyway. Should be an interesting experiment.

Obviously, I’m relying on everyone else to do the early gardening this year, which is totally unlike me, but there you are.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..The Return of the Owl Game, Now With More Noise

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

3. John on March 6, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Nothing yet, started asparagus.

Reply to John's comment

4. Victoria on March 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Lots of green here….I’m trying to get a jump start on flowers, peppers & tomatoes. My indoor growing space is a bit limited this year, but I’m thankful for what I’ve got. Think I may set up an extra grow light & start some arugula this weekend!
    Victoria´s last post ..March (front) Garden

Reply to Victoria's comment

5. Jill on March 6, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Hi Susy,
    not really related to starting seeds, but I wonder if you and many of your readers have been enjoying the BBC series Wartime Farm? http://www.wartimefarm.co.uk/ If I remember correctly you don’t have satellite, but it is very well done and really drives home the importance of gardening and homesteading skills in times of crisis. I thought I would share for anyone interested–I watched it on TVO. I also enjoyed the Victorian Farm series that they did a few years ago.

Love the blog, I’ve been reading for years now! Jill
    Jill´s last post ..First Glimpse

Reply to Jill's comment

• Susy on March 7, 2013 at 8:50 am

It’s a great series, Mr Chiots and I watched it last fall I believe.

6. Adriana on March 6, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Just started onions and herbs last weekend. Nothing is up yet…
    Adriana´s last post ..Hominy Harmony

Reply to Adriana's comment

7. KimH on March 6, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Nothing green here yet though I need to get busy soon.. Im going to be out of town for 2 weeks next month which throws a kink in some of my plantings but Im just gonna have to work around them.
    I’ll probably get busy one day later this week…

8. Karen on March 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Started onions, leeks, shallots and kale on Sunday and the kale is already coming up!

Reply to Karen's comment

9. Maybelline on March 7, 2013 at 4:10 am

Nope. All the sprouting is going on outside.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Big Dummy

Reply to Maybelline's comment

10. Natalie on March 7, 2013 at 11:51 am

I started onions, dill, and lettuce, so far and all have sprouted. In the next few weeks, I will start the tomatoes and cucumbers.

I love seeing green!
    Natalie´s last post ..Yesterday: Spring. Today: Snowpocolypse (sorta)

Reply to Natalie's comment

11. EL on March 10, 2013 at 1:17 am

Warm winter, so maybe I’ll plant my peas very soon. Nothing but catgrass and a celery plant (and lots of cacti) inside. I’ve been lazy. I plan on starting a few things this weekend.

Reply to EL's comment