Cultivate Simple 27: Pondering Ponds

April 22nd, 2013

Today on Cultivate Simple we’re talking about ponds. We went to the local library a few weeks ago for a workshop on pond building and maintenance. We’d love to put in a small pond here at Chiot’s Run for increased diversity and provide a place for planting water loving plants.  We had a small pond back in our garden in Ohio and really enjoyed what it brought to our garden.  Of course we have 40 acres of wetlands in the back, but we really want something that we can see from the house.
Fish_pond 1

Books of the Week

PDF Of USDA book on Ponds: Planning, Design, and Construction.

7 Comments to “Cultivate Simple 27: Pondering Ponds”
  1. Lizzie on April 22, 2013 at 7:21 am

I somehow am not showing either of the two most recent podcasts on iTunes! :(

Reply to Lizzie's comment

• Mr. Chiots on April 22, 2013 at 8:18 am

Yep… I am trying to figure out what the problem is. iTunes has little in the way of support for podcasters. If you go into iTunes, click File-> Subscribe to Podcast and then enter http://chiotsrun.com/category/cultivate-simple-podcast/feed/ you will route around iTunes store glitches until we figure out what is going on.

Reply to Mr. Chiots's comment

• Mr. Chiots on April 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

iTunes seems to have gotten its act together. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Reply to Mr. Chiots's comment

• Lizzie on April 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Wonderful! Yes, I think iTunes did get it together . . . I didn’t have to route around the glitches. Whew, I was having Cultivate Simple withdrawals.

to Lizzie's comment

2. DebbieB on April 22, 2013 at 11:15 am

Downloaded nicely to my iPhone – thanks so much for working out the kinks, Brian!

Even though we don’t have a pond or wetlands, I still found this fascinating. We have a small fountain/pond made of fiberglass on our patio, with goldfish in it. Mr. DebbieB dreams of a large pond with water lilies, fish, and waterfowl. Maybe some day – and it’s great to have this resource when he’s ready to tackle the project.
    DebbieB´s last post ..Such A Lovely Day

Reply to DebbieB's comment

3. Maybelline on April 23, 2013 at 1:43 am

Oh boy! My dog would love a pond.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Iceberg Roses (‘Rosa KORbin’)

Reply to Maybelline's comment

4. Elyse on April 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

We don’t have any plans for a pond (and as a young family, we prefer no bodies of water nearby), but I just wanted to say I love the diversity in topics being covered!

Reply to Elyse's comment