Friday Favorite: Weeding

April 26th, 2013

Weeding is a garden chore that I don’t mind, there’s something very relaxing about it.  I guess it’s the repetitious nature of it, it allows me the freedom to let my mind wander.   Once again, it’s the season for weeding.  I spent a half hour outside yesterday evening trying to rid an area of quack grass.
Weeding 1
Weeding 2
Weeding 3
For me, it’s a wonderful way to spend an evening.

What’s your favorite garden chore?

13 Comments to “Friday Favorite: Weeding”
  1. Mich on April 26, 2013 at 6:18 am

Quack grass I’d never heard of it…I have just googled it.
    Lol. I know it as couch or squitch here in the UK, a very annoying grass but highly satisfying when you dig a long piece out.

Reply to Mich's comment

2. Lemongrass on April 26, 2013 at 6:49 am

I enjoy all aspects of gardening. From child hood I enjoyed pulling vines of trees, and some 35 years later I still enjoy doing it allowing my mind to travel to far away places. We grew rabbits for food and manure. And here in the Caribbean things grow 365 days a year. Transplanting seedlings is as relaxing as yoga and I do not need a yoga mat or studio.

Reply to Lemongrass's comment

3. Marina C on April 26, 2013 at 7:38 am

I like weeding as you are doing now, as a project to tackle. I do mulch my large cutting garden and Irish garden (potato, onion, leeks, celeriac), carrots and beets) after the first weeding of spring . No more weeds there!
    I love doing frequent light scraping/weeding with the small triangular headed tool on my raised beds. I have an old mail box right in the garden and I leave gloves, a weeding tool and a hand shovel right there, so even if I have just a minute, I can do something useful.
    I just love this upward energy time of the year, just trying to keep up with Mother Nature.

Reply to Marina C's comment

4. Adelina Anderson on April 26, 2013 at 7:42 am

Spent yesterday weeding out the garden with my kids. They seemed to enjoy digging around for those nasty roots and in the process they dug up an onion that seemed to escape picking from last year.
    Adelina Anderson´s last post ..Silver Dichroic Ring by GlassbyAdelina

Reply to Adelina Anderson's comment

5. daisy on April 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

I agree with you that weeding is very relaxing. Anything garden related suits me just fine.
    daisy´s last post ..Backyard Garden Festival

Reply to daisy's comment

6. Sierra N Hampl on April 26, 2013 at 11:23 am

I also don’t mind weeding, and as it turns out, Isabella is very good at helping. I’ve found it’s a fun thing for us to do side by side in the garden.
    Sierra N Hampl´s last post ..Swim 101: What not to do

Reply to Sierra N Hampl's comment

7. KimH on April 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

My very most favorite garden chore is picking the veggies/fruit. For me, thats what its all about..

I dont mind weeding for the most part, as it is indeed very meditative and I love that.. but Im not particularly fond of watering a garden.. odd thing, I know.. but thankfully for me, M’honey doenst mind doing it.

8. Kay on April 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Weeding isn’t my favorite, and that is why I put straw down on as much as I can. My favorite part of gardening would be the waiting for the veggies to become ripe/ready to pick. I look at it as God’s faithfulness to us.
    Kay´s last post ..Renfrew muslin, a doxie, soap making, and tulips

Reply to Kay's comment

9. Jennifer Fisk on April 26, 2013 at 1:41 pm

My most favorite garden chore is digging the garlic and hanging to dry. Other than that, picking supper is next.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

10. Marissa on April 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I love pruning! trees, roses, deadheading etc.

Reply to Marissa's comment

11. Maria on April 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Weeding is what I do when work is driving me crazy and I need to relax.
    Maria´s last post ..Tulips And Forget-Me-Nots

Reply to Maria's comment

12. Caroline on April 26, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I enjoy weeding… but for me it’s also stressful! I can’t tell the difference between something that SHOULD be there and something that should NOT! I’m hoping to learn more this year to know the difference!
    Caroline´s last post ..5×5 Gardening Challenge

Reply to Caroline's comment

13. Maybelline on April 27, 2013 at 2:37 am

Planting
    Maybelline´s last post ..Iceberg Roses (‘Rosa KORbin’)

Reply to Maybelline's comment