A Good Cause

May 9th, 2013

This past weekend, I stopped at a few of our local conservation district plant sales.  At one, there were a few grade schoolers selling packs of seeds to raise money for a new garden shed for their school garden.
school seed sale 3
school seed sale 1
school seed sale 2
I couldn’t pass them up without buying any seeds from them, they were so enthusiastic about their fundraiser. I loved that the seed packs are decorated by students. They even had a little catalog.
school seed sale 4
There’s nothing I love more than helping out industrious kids, especially when they’re trying to better their school garden. I didn’t really need any more seeds, but I couldn’t pass this up!

Have you purchased any interesting items from local kids recently?

8 Comments to “A Good Cause”
  1. Lemongrass on May 9, 2013 at 5:49 am

A few years ago I was walking through the local farmers’ market and came to a few 4th graders sell sweets and chcolate for their sports team. Knowing that I do not eat sweets or chocolate, I told him that I will give a donation. He gladly accepted my offer and I did not have to take goods I did not want.
    I love the their decorated seed packs. Which reminds me I need to start working on some for myself.

Reply to Lemongrass's comment

2. Jennifer Fisk on May 9, 2013 at 8:13 am

Looks like we may possibly have some budding seed savers in Warren if they are encouraged by heirloomers.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

3. amy on May 9, 2013 at 10:04 am

Those seed packets and catalogue are darling! I don’t know about interesting but I have never met a “Thin Mint” cookie I could pass up.

Reply to amy's comment

4. Maybelline on May 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

This type of fundraiser is what I have been pleading work associates to ask their local PTA to undertake. All I ever see are those “World’s Finest Chocolate” bars.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Lavender Success

Reply to Maybelline's comment

• Maybelline on May 9, 2013 at 1:32 pm

PS…Are those seeds available to purchase online? I wouldn’t mind contributing.
      Maybelline´s last post ..Lavender Success

Reply to Maybelline's comment

5. Chris on May 9, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I love their creativity and enginuity. I wouldn’t be able to pass them up either!

I recently purchased some Girl Guide cookies from one of my daughter’s friends. They were raising money for a new hut. Even though I’m gluten free, we bought the cookies anyway. My daughter has been enjoying them in her lunchbox! ;)
    Chris´s last post ..The countdown!

Reply to Chris's comment

6. Kay on May 10, 2013 at 4:44 am

I rarely purchase things that the school/organizations makes kids peddle, mostly because I believe it is wrong to send kids out to work a crowd of people, and typically the junk they sell is just that, junk. I will say though that the seed selling thing is a very good and different approach. At least you know that the kids will actually be doing something useful. This is Kranky Kate signing off :)
    Kay´s last post ..Knit Argyle Skirt

Reply to Kay's comment

7. KimH on May 10, 2013 at 8:45 am

We have kids come by the house 2 or 3 times a year selling boxes of cookies & candies as part of a program to keep at risk kids off the street.. We always buy from them.. Guess we have Sucker over our front door but whatever.. God has blessed us with the ability to help others a little bit, and so we do.