Quote of the Day: Joe Eck & Wayne Winterrowd

May 12th, 2013

Vegetables beckon and intrigue us in a way no fish or piece of meat every could.

The beauty of a single lettuce, its inner leaves tight and crisp, the outer ones opened up like those of a cottage garden rose; the glowing saffron flesh of a cracked pumpkin; the curling tendrils of a pea plant; a bunco hot long white-tipped radishes; a bag of assorted tomatoes in shades of soft scarlet, green and orange is something I like to take time over. And not only is it the look of them that is beguiling. The rough feel of a runner bean between the fingers, the childish pop of a pea pod, the inside of a fur lined lava bean case, the cool vellum like skin of a freshly dug potato are all reason to linger. And all of this even before we have turned the oven on.

Nigel Slater Tender: A Cook and His Vegetable Patch

Belfast Farmers Market 3
This time of year I’m especially happy to start seeing the beauty evolve in the vegetable garden. It’s exciting to see the first pink tops of radishes forming in the dark earth.
radish
The colors of all the brassicas are particularly intriguing, this year I’m enjoying the unfurling of ‘Purple Peacock’ Broccoli.
colorful vegetables 1
colorful vegetables 2
colorful vegetables 3
The ‘Scarlet Frills’ mustard is calling me to harvest it in order to add color to our spinach salads. And the Red Sales lettuce’s color is growing deeper with the intensity of the sun.

What vegetable are you enjoying visually at the moment?

9 Comments to “Quote of the Day: Joe Eck & Wayne Winterrowd”
  1. Marina C on May 12, 2013 at 6:32 am

Radishes, pak choi and lettuces!
    They make me wish I could water color, and paint them as they are right now, rain drops included.

Reply to Marina C's comment

2. whit on May 12, 2013 at 8:46 am

Asparagus, definitely. But i’m not necessarily enjoying the asparagus beetles. :). Putting away a bunch of chive butter too. I miss them when they’re gone.

Reply to whit's comment

3. Daedre Craig on May 12, 2013 at 9:52 am

Your ‘Scarlet Frills’ looks similar to the ‘Ruby Streaks’ I’m growing. I think it’s the most beautiful salad green I’ve ever grown…and it has a little kick to it!
    Daedre Craig´s last post ..No-Peel Nectarine Jam

Reply to Daedre Craig's comment

4. Lexa on May 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm

Right now I am enjoying the different colored radish. Mine look to be just the same size as your right now. That “Scarlet Frills” mustard is a show-stopper! An I am interested in the containers that you have your “Red Sails” lettuce growing in..galvanized? I just bought two oval galvanized pails to use as planters this year as an experiment.

Reply to Lexa's comment

5. Maybelline on May 12, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Onions.
    The seeds germinated nicely.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Lavender Success

Reply to Maybelline's comment

6. amy on May 13, 2013 at 10:38 am

The rainbow chard and always the peas:)

Reply to amy's comment

7. Caroline on May 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm

This is my first attempt at gardening so for me, watching ANYTHING come up is so exciting! Watching my tomato plants first start to peep through the soil, then the first two leaves and now I’m seeing another 2 leaves show up…. Watching my radish’s grow like mad…. Actually seeing my garden bush bean plant rise out of the dirt.. To me this is all so new and amazing.
    Caroline´s last post ..5×5 Gardening Challenge

Reply to Caroline's comment

8. laura on May 16, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I’m fascinated by my St. Valery Heirloom Carrots. I’ve never grown carrots before and just love their lacy tops. I’m panicking over everything else though. I’ve never started plants from seeds and most of them came up great but now they are all looking sad and I’ve lost all my zucchini, most of my squash, nasturtiums and four o’clocks. Oy…it’s a learning process, right? :-)
    blessings
    ~*~
    laura´s last post ..L. R. A. or how I deal…

Reply to laura's comment

9. EL on May 19, 2013 at 2:43 am

I don’t know if you’ll see this, as I am commenting way after the post, but what did you plant your lettuce in? It looks like loaf pans, but I am assuming that it would be something with a bit more drainage?

Reply to EL's comment