So Long Peas…Hello Beets

July 20th, 2013

The winter garden seeding is in full swing.  I’ve been tearing out peas, broccoli and other spring crops and replacing them with turnips, beets, carrots and spinach.
pea vines 2
Of course the pigs are getting the exhausted pea vines, they have a great time searching for any pods remaining. The string from the trellis was saved and I’m using it to tie up my tomatoes.
pea vines 1
Hopefully the fall crops will do well, I’m hoping for a good harvest of root vegetables not only for us, but for all of our feathers, hooved and pawed creatures.

Are you replacing any spring crops with fall crops?

8 Comments to “So Long Peas…Hello Beets”
  1. Lemongrass on July 20, 2013 at 5:45 am

Thursday i plant a crop of beets, carrots, radishes, beans and orka. Fortunately for me I do not have to consider fall crops or winter crops. We have rainy season and dry season here in the Caribbean. With the Moon doing her thing I want to plant some leafy veggies soon.
    Beet greens…………a special ingredient in my smoothies.

Reply to Lemongrass's comment

2. Kay on July 20, 2013 at 6:36 am

I will plant turnips, beets, and more green beans toward the end of August.
    Kay´s last post ..ITY Knit Skirt

Reply to Kay's comment

3. Jennifer Fisk on July 20, 2013 at 7:05 am

My broccoli is giving me good side shoots so it stays for a while. Once the corn is done I may put in more broccoli and spinach in its place. Things have been a bit slow maturing here on MDI.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

4. Nebraska Dave on July 20, 2013 at 8:26 am

Nope, no fall crop here. I’m still heavy into fence building. The sweet corn is just coming into setting the kernels on the ears stage and already I see some nibbling going on. I don’t believe I’ll get much corn this year. The wet cold spring put my fence building way behind but there is next year. The big push this year is to get the garden night shade critter proof. Now flying wild turkeys, that’s a whole different issue. :0)

Have a great day in the fall garden.
    Nebraska Dave´s last post ..Summer Time and the Living is easy?

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

5. Charlie@Seattle Trekker on July 20, 2013 at 8:51 am

Love beets and carrots…it sounds like a wonderful fall. Thank you for thoughtfully recycling.

Reply to Charlie@Seattle Trekker's comment

6. laura on July 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I want/need to but am not sure if it is time yet here in my area. I need to look into that. I already have kale and collar seeds but need to order everything else. I really should get on that!
    blessings
    ~*~
    laura´s last post ..finding myself…

Reply to laura's comment

7. Stoney Acres on July 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Yep, it that time of year. We already have a flat of seedlings started that are about 3 weeks along. These will be fall crops, cabbage, broccoli, etc. In about 10 days it will be time to plant fall/winter carrots and get all the fall and winter greens started!!
    Stoney Acres´s last post ..The NutriMill Wheat Grinder – Mrs. Stoney’s new toy

Reply to Stoney Acres's comment

8. Maybelline on July 21, 2013 at 2:57 am

Waaaay too hot for fall planting just yet.
    Maybelline´s last post ..Air Conditioning – Best Invention Ever!

Reply to Maybelline's comment