The Beginning

August 10th, 2013

Earlier this week I harvested the first new potatoes of the year.  My potatoes went in the ground a little later than I had hoped, if they were planted earlier I would have had fresh potatoes long before now.
Potato-harvest-re
These are ‘Red Gold’ potato, an early potato, reaching maturity at 70 days.  When the vines first started to die I thought they were blighted, but then I remembered that they were just a short season potato.  We are certainly enjoying these little beauties (I planted them close together so they’d be small).  There’s nothing quite like fresh potatoes after being without for 4-5 months!

Have you harvested any potatoes yet?

12 Comments to “The Beginning”
  1. Lemongrass on August 10, 2013 at 7:45 am

seeing these newly harvested potatoes brought a recipe to mind. roasted potatoes with jalapeno peppers, garlic, coconut oil, lime juice, thyme and red onions. mix them all together and enjoy with a mix salad.
    enjoy your harvest.

Reply to Lemongrass's comment

2. Nebraska Dave on August 10, 2013 at 8:27 am

New potatoes are yummy. My neighbor has a patch of potatoes in Terra Nova Gardens. He harvested about five gallons of potatoes from just a few plants. He has another whole row and a half to go. The potatoes that I planted were planted really late like almost June late. They are in full bloom now and I suspect will be ready for eating in September. That’s OK, they will still be a wonderful addition to the dinner table.

Have a great day in the garden.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

3. KimH on August 10, 2013 at 9:40 am

Nope, wont be harvesting any this year but I have been eating them thanks to my CSA… I’d have no veggies at all this year if not for them. Thank God for CSAs. ;)

4. Stacy on August 10, 2013 at 10:16 am

Did you harvest them and run straight to the kitchen like Monty Don?

Reply to Stacy's comment

• Susy on August 10, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Mr Chiots and I have been joking about that. I harvested some one evening for breakfast the next day, he was telling me I should go out and do it in the morning so I could run to the kitchen and cook them straight away.

5. Lexa on August 10, 2013 at 12:43 pm

As soon as I return from vacation Susy, I should have some red potatoes to harvest as well. I can’t wait!
    Lexa´s last post ..Hand Pollination

Reply to Lexa's comment

6. Kay on August 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Oh yes, ours are all out of the ground. We ended up w/ 147 lbs., which should be more than enough for us to eat and also to use as seed potatoes for our next harvest!
    Kay´s last post ..I won! Woo Hoo!

Reply to Kay's comment

7. kristin @ going country on August 11, 2013 at 11:43 am

YES, ALLELUIA. We had some shriveled, sprouting potatoes in the cellar in the spring that I pretty much just dropped in the ground in the most haphazard manner possible, just because they were past eating stage and I figured i had nothing to lose. They did GREAT, probably because of the tremendous amount of rain we had early in the summer. I dug them up at least a month ago and they were HUGE.

Lesson learned: Potatoes should go in the ground as early as possible here. We always get more rain in the beginning of the season than in the middle or end.
    kristin @ going country´s last post ..Grandparental Spoiling Is the Connecting Theme

Reply to kristin @ going country's comment

8. Stoney Acres on August 11, 2013 at 5:42 pm

The combination of an almost complete crop failure last summer and moving and trying to establish a new garden this year as left us without fresh home grown potatoes for over a year now. We are so looking forward to our crop that is getting close in the garden now!!
    Stoney Acres´s last post ..I LOVE Summer!!

Reply to Stoney Acres's comment

9. Lisa Sewell on August 11, 2013 at 9:52 pm

We’ve dug Reds and Yukon Golds so far. Still have Green Moumtains and Russetts in the ground. Delish!

Reply to Lisa Sewell's comment

10. Colleen on August 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm

We planted early, so we have been eating potatoes for several weeks now. Fresh home grown potatoes are one of my favorite veggies out of our garden.
    Susy, on one of the pod casts you mentioned how cutting into a fresh potato sounds like cutting a crisp apple, I never really paid much attention to that detail until now. Enjoy your potatoes!

Reply to Colleen's comment

11. Caroline on August 13, 2013 at 1:37 am

I’m a little afraid of growing those root veggies that you can’t SEE growing! I planted Radishes early this season, but with our terrible spring nothing became of them. I hope to grow some sweet potatoes next year, but who knows if that will really happen. For now I’m happy with tomatoes and peppers!
    Caroline´s last post ..Freezer Meal: Chicken Broccoli Alfredo