“Agiculture doesn’t make sense without ways of storing the harvest.” -Sandor Katz
Ana & Roy Antaki from Weeping Duck Farm
What is lacto-fermentation? Traditional preservation of food in a brine solution.
Works through the activity of the lactobacillus family of beneficial bacteria.
- It’s is lactose-free.
- Applies to many food items, vegetable, dairy, meat.
- Suitable for long-term storage.
- No energy required in the preparation.
- Long term storage without energy requirements.
- A method perfected & tested through centuries, millennia.
- A living food that supports the body’s systems for health, adds beneficial bacteria to the intestinal tract, notably from the lactobacillus family. inhibits & neutralizes numbers intestinal pathogens.
- It is probiotic. Contains anti cancer agents, rich in anti-oxicdants, detoxifying agents, anti-funagl, immune-system booster & partner.
- Improves the ability of the body to absorb needed nutrients from food.
- Increases the nutritional value of the food. Synthesizes vitamins B & K. Protects and preserves heat sensitive vitamins.
Given recent large disease outbreaks trace – from sandor katz book – about safety of fermentation.
She uses Le Parfait jars, you can find them here.
Le Parfait French Glass Canning Jar – 1 Liter
General Rule for Amount of Salt to Use:
Use 3 Tablespoons of salt per 5 lbs of veggies
Use 2-3 Tablespoons of salt per quart of water
Books of the Week: