So Long Summer

September 11th, 2013

Well, summer is over in the 5×5 Challenge Garden.  Yesterday I cleared out the zucchini and the beans.  The tomatoes are still going strong, so I left them to ripen.
5x5 garden 3
5x5 garden 5
5x5 garden 2
5x5 garden 4
The expanse of soil is nice to see after spending time cleaning up the garden. I considered adding mulch or compost for overwintering. Then I decided to plant the garden with various chicories and endives. They should do nicely in our cold fall and provide us with food for November & December.
5x5 garden 1
No doubt you’re also cleaning up you little garden, think about adding a few fall/winter plants. If not, add a good layer of compost on top and you’ll be ready to go next spring.

Have you started cleaning out the garden for winter?

6 Comments to “So Long Summer”
  1. Jennifer Fisk on September 11, 2013 at 6:13 am

I pulled all of my corn stalks. The goats were thrilled. Next will be the beans.

Reply to Jennifer Fisk's comment

2. angie h on September 11, 2013 at 9:01 am

I started cleaning mine out last week. The tomatoes plants were so dead with the blight. I had tried letting them ripen for a bit, but the blight was getting the tomatoes so I just salvaged what I could and pulled the plants…sick of looking at them! Hopefully it will give my peppers a little more sun, they were really shaded out.

When do you plant cover crop? I have winter rye I want to plant where I am not doing fall stuff.

Reply to angie h's comment

3. Deb on September 11, 2013 at 11:20 am

Not much cleaning here as the zucchini are still going, Tomatoes ripening, strawberries ripening. Still have cabbage and potatoes in the ground. No need yet till at least the killing frost comes. I go for all I cna get. Dry beans are still drying so won’t take them for a few weeks yet. peppers still ahve peppers on them. I’m zone 5B-6A in Ohio. What zone are you?

Reply to Deb's comment

• Susy on September 11, 2013 at 11:30 am

We’re zone 5 here in Maine.

4. Joy Giles on September 11, 2013 at 11:31 am

My Portland, Oregon, cousin sent me a jar of hot garlic dill green cherry tomatoes. They were wonderful and I’ve been searching for a recipe for something similar since. Had a great dilly taste as well as a bit of heat.

Reply to Joy Giles's comment

5. Colleen on September 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

We have stared clearing out a little for fall/winter crops, but we still have zucchini and yellow squash, beans, cucumbers, and tomatoes all producing quite well. According to the weather forecast, this may be the last week of beautiful weather, it may time to clean up.

Reply to Colleen's comment