Baby Lobster, do, do, do, do

December 17th, 2013

I made a tiny crocheted wool lobster last week, it’s a gift. Someone asked me to make it for them so they could gift it to a family member. It turned out rather nicely for my first amigurumi project.
Tiny Lobster
It’s only about 3 inches long, and is so, so cute. I posted it on my facebook page and now I have orders for four more. They’d make cute Christmas ornaments for sure. I rather enjoyed making this little guy, I hope to get more into amigurimi crochet in the future. Another cottage industry might be born.

Do you ever sell any of your handicrafts?

(in case anyone is interested in the pattern you can find it here)

12 Comments to “Baby Lobster, do, do, do, do”
  1. Lemongrass on December 17, 2013 at 5:29 am

It took almost an hour to get to work on the subway(nyc). I made beanie hats for 6 to 12 months old babies.during that time.. Sold most of them at our yearly Crafts Festival in the local High School. They were fun to make. Adorable lobster.

Reply to Lemongrass's comment

2. Adelina Anderson on December 17, 2013 at 7:17 am

Cute lobster!

I work with stained glass and fused glass. I do one craft fair a year and sell most of my work. Since Christmas is just around the corner, I have been getting messages non stop about people coming over for last minute gifts or custom work. I do love it though.
    Adelina Anderson´s last post ..Dichroic Glass Pendant on Silver by GlassbyAdelina

Reply to Adelina Anderson's comment

3. Randy on December 17, 2013 at 8:15 am

That is cute as can be. Great work.

Reply to Randy's comment

4. Nebraska Dave on December 17, 2013 at 9:30 am

Susy, I try not to sell any thing. Technically, in my state, sales tax has to be collected, social security tax (17%) has to be paid, and all sales have to be claimed on the income tax. Then there’s the inventory that needs to be taken every 90 days. It’s just not worth the effort to me. Many folks make substantial income from such cottage industries and I’m glad that they can but for me, if I was to have a cottage industry, my product would be given away which then becomes a hobby and no taxes or inventory.

Have a great day with your budding cottage industry.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

5. DebbieB on December 17, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love your lobster! So cute! There must be Amigurumi in the air – I had never done it before, but just completed my very first project this morning. It’s a gift for my daughter for Christmas. We’re all huge Doctor Who fans (for those who don’t know, that’s a British science fiction show that’s just celebrated its 50th anniversary) and this creature is an Ood. He has face tentacles, and carries his little white round brain in his hand (I told you it was science fiction!!!) I’m really pleased with the way he came out. You can see him here in my Ravelry projects:

I’m a weaver and spinner, and I do sell my handwork (though not my fledgling Amigurumi). I sell handspun yarn and handwoven dishtowels/placemats/runners/scarves/shawls in an Etsy shop (you can find it through my blog).
    DebbieB´s last post ..Finished Rainbow Stripe Towels

Reply to DebbieB's comment

6. misti on December 17, 2013 at 10:26 am

Once up on a time I tried to sell head kerchiefs that I’d crocheted and also headbands. The headbands worked great and I sold some of them. This was when I was also selling seeds on Etsy. I long ago gave up the idea of selling my crochet or making patterns to sell. It is definitely a hobby for me, not a business.
    misti´s last post ..Backyard Birds | December Edition

Reply to misti's comment

7. Joan on December 17, 2013 at 7:01 pm

That is so cute! I’ve sold some pottery in the past, but never enough to call it a ‘business’. Hopefully before too many more years pass I’ll have time to make more of it!

Reply to Joan's comment

8. Deb on December 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm

What kind of crochet is that? I’ve been crocheting for 45 yrs. and never heard of it.Very pretty lobster.

Reply to Deb's comment

9. Becky on December 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

What a neat idea. I’ve never heard of amigurumi, but the lobster is so cute. Thanks for sharing the link. So often I’m impressed by the different projects you tackle and I really appreciate you sharing your sources so that I can attempt the ones that fit into my life!

Reply to Becky's comment

10. Wendy on December 18, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Very cute–I’m sure there are lots of Mainers who would like to gift a lobster like that! :)
    Wendy´s last post ..make a nature shadowbox from a pizza box and old map

Reply to Wendy's comment

11. Ginnie on December 18, 2013 at 10:16 pm

These look like great tree ornaments. Cute as can be!! How did you just whip that up? And what is Amigurumi?
    I started making english toffee for gifts a while back and everyone told me I should sell it. I was selling it at a local store until the demand became bigger than I could handle. It came down to opening a commercial kitchen and buying in bulk wholesale etc., etc. So it became a very un-cottagy thing to do. I stopped.

Reply to Ginnie's comment

• Susy on December 19, 2013 at 8:54 am

Amigurumi is a type of tight crochet used to make animals and dolls and such, toys. It wasn’t difficult since I found a pattern to use. I credit the skill to my childhood, may parents always encouraged our creativity and I made all sorts of crafty things as a kid.

Comments RSS