Cultivate Simple 65: 5×5 Challenge

February 10th, 2014

This week on the podcast we talk about the 5×5 Challenge and why you should join in. If you are new gardener, joining the challenge is a great way to get your hands dirty! For the experienced gardeners, the 5×5 challenge offers a good structure to mentor a new gardener.

Round 5x5 logo

Check out the 5×5 Challenge Posts from last year’s challenge.
5x5 garden

Books of the Week

Play
6 Comments to “Cultivate Simple 65: 5×5 Challenge”
  1. DebbieB on February 10, 2014 at 2:32 pm

First, let me just say that the “spam comment of the week” segment cracks me up. :)

I’m in for the 5×5 gardening challenge again this year – our space is a little larger than 5×5 but we’ll call it good. It’s time for us to get our beds ready and start seeds – our last frost possibility is this week. Last year we started pretty late in the season, and everything was stressed by the heat. I’m eager to see what we can produce with an earlier start date.

We learned some things from last year’s experience – how to identify and deal with the squash vine borer that killed every one of my squash and zucchini plants, how many of each plant we really need (hint: we do NOT need a thousand basil plants just because all the basil seeds germinated), and that our lettuce will grow better on the shadier patio in containers than baking in the sun in the main garden.

I watched the 1st episode of Fork to Fork on YouTube this morning – I keep meaning to watch the series and hadn’t started it yet. Your book recommendation reminded me to go find it. I really like it!

Thanks for all the information you freely share in the podcast and on the blog. You guys are so inspirational!
    DebbieB´s last post ..Finished Rainbow Stripe Towels

Reply to DebbieB's comment

2. Misti on February 10, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I’m definitely game to help out the southern folks!

What about y’all doing just twice monthly podcasts until inspiration strikes once again?

I think it would be cool if y’all could interview folks that are prominent in gardening/simple living in your neck of the woods. Just ideas to toss around!
    Misti´s last post ..I Wrote A Book!

Reply to Misti's comment

3. Reid on February 11, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Seed starting question: What is are the ideal situation to start onion seedlings? Do they like it hot or cooler? I have them in a small greenhouse indoors with a 60W light bulb.

Reply to Reid's comment

• Susy on February 23, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Yes, onions seeds appreciate heat, I use a Seedling Heating Mat
      . The most important thing when it comes to onion seeds is to make sure you have fresh seed.

4. mandie on February 12, 2014 at 11:25 am

I’ve got my husband listening to your podcast (finally!) and we each had an idea for future podcasts…..I think once upon a time you mentioned maybe doing one about bees/beekeeping. We are hoping that does come to fruition, because we’re jumping on board!! My husband had a thought last night when we were watching curling…..Brian should do a podcast explaining curling! We’ve googled but still aren’t quite getting it, and you guys seem to have a knack for making us understand things! Keep up the great work, we sure do love your blog and podcast!

Reply to mandie's comment

5. Krista on February 15, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Have you heard of the British comedy series The IT Crowd? If you know, you know what I’m going to say next, but in case you don’t, “have you tried turning it off and on again”

Just something the Geeky Corner made me think about.

Reply to Krista's comment