Friday Favorite: Strawberry Season

June 20th, 2014

Last night we have our first flush of ripe berries from the garden, they were delicious!
strawberries 1
I planted these last year, we have ‘Sparkle’ Junebearing strawberry plants and overbearing ‘Seascape’. I wanted to give overbearing a try to see how they did. Last year they didn’t produce very many berries but it was their first year. We will see how they do this year.
strawberries 2
We enjoyed the berries on strawberry shortcake, one of our favorite summer meals. If you’d like the recipe I posted it a few years ago on this post.
strawberry_shortcake 2
Next year we should have even more strawberries, our plants produce lots of runners. I’ll be moving all the ones that come this year to a new spot in the garden. Strawberries do well if they are moved to a new location every 3 years. I plan on adding a new section in the garden before the old one is exhausted so we alway have lots of berries.

What’s your favorite way to enjoy strawberries?

8 Comments to “Friday Favorite: Strawberry Season”
  1. daisy on June 20, 2014 at 5:41 am

I like eating them right off the vine, still warm from the sun. No sugar needed! Enjoy your berries!
    daisy´s last post ..Cowpea Shoots

Reply to daisy's comment

2. Joan on June 20, 2014 at 6:17 am

Straight out of the garden is the best! Strawberry shortcake (on biscuits) is my second favorite. And just sliced with a little sugar and either milk or cream isn’t too shabby either!

Reply to Joan's comment

3. Nebraska Dave on June 20, 2014 at 8:14 am

Susy, it’s pretty hard to beat eating strawberries just straight out of the garden. My grandson loves strawberries any way they are fixed. Probably the very best way he like to eat them is in a smoothie. I like smoothies as well. It’s a good way to get fruit in my diet as well as yogurt. Strawberries have been a favorite of mine as well. My sister and I would put them in a bowl with fresh cream on top from our own cows. But then we put cream on our breakfast cereal as well. How did we ever survive the horrible way we ate. (Just being sarcastic). It was a time when food tasted like food and not what we have today.

Have a great fresh strawberry day.

Reply to Nebraska Dave's comment

4. Sierra N Hampl on June 20, 2014 at 8:33 am

They look delicious! Unfortunately the bunnies eat our strawberries before we do!
    Sierra N Hampl´s last post ..The Elizabethan Gardens

Reply to Sierra N Hampl's comment

5. bonnie knox on June 20, 2014 at 10:02 am

Any way is fine with me! Strawberries are tops.

Reply to bonnie knox's comment

6. Colleen on June 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

Straight out of the garden, shortcake, or topping oatmeal, are just a few of my favorite ways to eat strawberries.

Reply to Colleen's comment

7. Jennifer on June 20, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Every day my three year old asks if the strawberries are all grown up yet so we can eat them. We will go to a strawberry farm nearby- in Mn we are still waiting a but. I like the idea of gardening, but I’m still in the “exploration phase” AKA- black thumb! When I was a kid in Northern California my friend Ingrid’s mom had a huge strawberry patch and we would sell strawberries to passer-bys…much better revenue than lemonade! Enjoy!

Reply to Jennifer's comment

8. sarah on June 20, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I love strawberries but it seems like no matter how many I plant it’s never enough. It probably doesn’t help that I have a 1.5 year old who is an expert strawberry hunter so most of them never make it into the house at all.

Our strawberries are pretty much done here in Austin but I’ve been getting a lot of blackberries (whatever I can keep from the squirrels and birds…)

Reply to sarah's comment